We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

Lancaster...
2 posts
Save Topic
Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

Hello - later this week we are crusing to Ensenda with our small kids (ages 3 and 5). This will be our first time to Ensenda and are looking for suggestions on things to do with kids. We thought La Bodegas / Blow hole would be fun, but the ship tours don't get very good reviews - maybe a local tour would be better? Definitely open (and appreciate) suggestions.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

La Bufadora—a rather spectacular blow hole (ocean geyser) a few miles south of Ensenada. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDUDHi9M0rU The name means “the snorter.” The geyser is best seen with an incoming tide. There are two view platforms, a lower one—where you may get wet—and an upper one. A long row of food stands and curio shops lines the walkway to the viewing stations. (on line www.labufadora.com). If you go, be aware of the public bathrooms. They are clean, but you must pay to use them. When you pay, get your toilet paper. There will be absolutely nothing in the bathroom.

Whale Watching Tours: December through April—typically about a 3 hours tour from the port area. About $25.00 per person. NOTE: Whales have been late this year, and they are still passing; you may well see them.

If either of your children is female, she might enjoy getting her hair braided along the main shopping street.

This thread might also be of interest: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150770-i329-k7165…

Edited: 04 February 2014, 19:32
Lancaster...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

Thanks for the great tips. Instead of going with a pricey cruise-tour, is it easy enough to just take a cab to la bufadora? Will the cabs take USD or do we need pesos?

Any whale tour company recommendation? I've wanted to do that for a while.

Thanks for the tip on hair braiding - my daughter will love it.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

It's quite a way to La Bufadora, maybe 20-25 miles (and gasoline just went up because of a new tax in Mexico--about 16%--so obviously, that affects the drivers' rates). I have no idea whether a taxi driver would give you a good rate or not. You'd have to pay him to wait for you, too. Some people have written about hiring a driver for the whole day for a reasonable rate. I'm sure having a ship in port means there will be lots of taxis there, and I would assume lots of local tour operators.

I do not believe your safety is something you need to be concerned about with any of the local tour operators or with any of the taxi drivers.

You won't need pesos; everyone accepts dollars.

4. Re: Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 13:13
5. Re: Cruising to Ensenada with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:21