We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

Vacationing in San Diego for a week, thinking of driving to Ensenada and back for the day. Question: would driving a BMW pose too inviting a target (cops, break-ins)? Also, are there still issues with the Federales pulling over cars for bogus infractions...requiring on the spot bribes/payoffs? What about accidents...reading that the authorities would likely seize the car? Thinking it might be safer to park in SD and either take the ABC bus or rent a car. The bus seems like a cheap, safe solution...but it limits the options re. stopping at some nice wave spots along the beach for a swim. Interested in thoughts? Last time I crossed the border was over 30 years ago...walked to Tijuana and back....not really excited to do that again.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

The bite by cops is alive and well. Just ask for the ticket and go pay it. I would be more worried about someone stealing the car with US plates than just break ins or bad cops. Take the bus and swim the beaches in San Diego, also you can drink without driving if you like to. Cops will stop you just to look at the car

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

Much less likely to have a US-plated car stolen than a Mexican one (and there are loads of BMWs in Mexico) as they are impossible to register and could be a target for police. Car theft is not a huge problem in Mexico (compared to other crimes) so I wouldn't worry on that score. Yes, if you are in an accident your car could be held until full liability is determined (2-3 days usually at most) - but, again, not very likely is it?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

We drive our brand new Toyota Camry to Mexico often and see luxury cars, like BMWs with each trip along the highways and at the hotels, with both Mexican plates and US plates. I've been driving to/from Ensenada for 20+ years, follow the laws and never been pulled over.

DO buy Mexican auto insurance, even if you are just going for a day. My girlfriend who lives part time in Punta Banda turned us onto http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/ - super easy to do online and compared to other companies, the rates are the best.

Similar to any tourist area, lock your car, follow the laws and you should be fine. The roads are well maintained and signage is good.

I've never had a bad encounter with the Policia, but recently we've notices that they have been very friendly and helpful.

There is currently a detour that takes you inland at LaFonda to Ensenada as they are doing some road repairs.

Have a great time!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

A couple of other sources for buying on line:

www.mexpro.com excellent web site; explains everything very well

http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/quote/ This is the company we use for our annual policy. Even for daily insurance, they include a lot more coverage for practically no difference in total cost (they also include $100,000 evacuation insurance, which is a nice thing to know you have even though your chances of needing it are exceedingly slim.)

Edited: 28 July 2014, 16:45
Baja California...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

I see many BMW and stuff in Ensenanda driving all day .. If you do make shure you drive 100% correct

Stop sings in Ensenada are not like stop sings in the U.S stop signs can be even behind a tree or stuff .

Baja California...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

I always a little advice on that, but this is a public forum :)

Edited: 28 July 2014, 16:54
Baja California...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

OOps ... (cant edit ) I give a little advice on that but this is a public forum Lol :)

San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

I drive to Ensenada all the time from San Diego, driving a GMC Safari SLT or riding my BMW motorbike. I've never had any problem with the police. The free (libre) road may have potholes that could damage the front suspension, but the trade off is enjoying the culture of Mexico. Look where you're going. The toll (cuota) road is smooth as anything in the US. The road is out as you get closer to Ensenada, diverting you into Valle de Guadelupe, the wine country. I would say a BMW would be not a poor choice, but then are you talking a two seat sportscar, an SUV ,a regular sedan, or a "piece of jewelry" sedan?

Baja California...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

Taking a 2 seat bmw to doña lupe i dont know if its a good idea. Dirt road

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you drive from San Diego to Ensenada in a BMW?

Thanks for the inputs. I decided to rent a car from Avis in San Diego for the one-day trip. It was the right call. My 528i would have stood out in bright lights. Most everything was either later model American made cars or Hondas and Toyotas. Also, with the Toll road out between Rosarito and Ensenda, the detour on the local road meant some pot holes. The 528i has run-flat tires that fair far worse on pot holes than conventional tires. Avis in San Diego was a snap...could park my car there, also the Mexican insurance was packaged into the rental...one stop for everything. Was able to drive by the Federales without attracting attention.