We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hello!

We will be cruising into La Paz for a day, 10 am-4pm on the Norwegian Sun.

Our group would like to stroll downtown Malecon. Does anyone know what the taxi cost is?

Some of the young adults in our group would also like to Kayak. Heard El Tecolote Beach and Espiritu Santo Island are fantastic places for kayaking. Any suggestions how to accomplish this? NCL does not offer any of these excursions. Thanks for your help!!!

Cabo Pulmo, Mexico
Level Contributor
684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hi Sixseto,

I'll make an attempt while I hope others chime in later. I assume your cruise ship will dock in Puerto Pichelingue; map:

wikimapia.org/…h

Tecolate is 7 km north and La Paz Malecon is 15 km south. I think your taxi will be $15-20. And, your Espiritu Santo tour folks will have to make their own arrangements. There is a recommended tour operator in Tecolate:

http://www.azultourslapaz.com/web/

Here is another in La Paz: http://www.kayakbaja.com/

And, here is the official La Paz tourist site:

www.vivalapaz.com/ecotourism/ecotourops.html

Enjoy your visit :)

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Actually, the ship should dock right on the Malecon and you can walk easily in any direction. There are plenty of kayaking tours available which should have transport. I believe Hotel Concha Pearl has kayak tours as well. In any case, if you get off the boat, take a left (north) on the malecon several blocks you'll find kayaking tours of the island.

What day does the ship come?

Cabo Pulmo, Mexico
Level Contributor
684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hey John, Woo Hoo, just got an offer on my house!!!

Is this the dock across from the Seven Crown?

wikimapia.org/…h

You'll have to take some pictures when the ship comes in. Maybe I'll be there to celebrate with you :)

Kinda puts a damper on the Espititu Santo Tours. Only six hours to do an eight hour tour. Hopefully the tour guys can put something together.

bb

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hey John!

Thanks for your input! I will follow up and let you know what happens! Your assistance was very helpful indeed! With much gratitude, Sharon

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hi again!

Forgot to answer your question on the date our ship comes in: Friday, September 25th on Norwegian Sun!

La Paz, Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hey George, congrats, hope to see you! We're hoping to sell our little house down here too so we can start building.

Hi Sharon, hope you have fun, I'm glad to know cruise ships are coming again. Everyone over did it with respect to the essentially non-existent swine flu, so it's nice to have visitors again.

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hello there!

My sincere appreciation for the map showing the area where our cruise ship will dock in Puerto Pichelingue and information concerning Tecolate!

http://www.azultourslapaz.com/web/

Have a great day!

Best,

Sharon

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hi John and BB!

The cruise ship will dock in Puerto Pichelingue, according to our itenarary. So our plan is to take the taxi to either La Paz Malecon or Tecolate, depending on your answer on which starting point will give us the best kayaking for scenary and marine life.

Do any of you know what the approximate cost is for a guided kayaking tour from the operators at the La Paz Malecon or at Tecolate? How many hours the tours lasts?

I tried contacting Azul Tours several times, and they hung up on me when I gave greetings in English. The other contact kayakbaja.com, which is Mar y Adventuras, does not do one day kayaking tours when I inquired.

Would we be able to find Hotel Concha Pearl easily? Does any of the kayaking guides speak some english at the Malecon or Tecolate? So sorry to ask many questions. Our time is limited on port and we don't want to waste it when we get there, causing delays and missing the boat--which happened before! :)

Guys, my deepest appreciation for your generous time and assistance!

Sharon

Cabo Pulmo, Mexico
Level Contributor
684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the language barrier :)

The hotels are intermediaries for excursions and may not provide accurate information. Like John says, there are 3 or 4 tour companies within a block of La Perla. BTW, John's Restaurant is in there somewhere. Perhaps he can find a good source :)

Hotel La Perla is right on the Malecon next to Hotel Seven Crown in the second WikiMap:

http://www.hotelperlabaja.com/

Hotel La Concha is 3km toward Pichelingue on the Bay:

http://www.laconcha.com/index.html

You might try Baja Outdoor Activities:

kayactivities.com/itinerarios/daytrips.htm

Tel: + 52 612 1255636.

Again, here is the list for La Paz tour operators:

www.vivalapaz.com/ecotourism/ecotourops.html

What does your cruise line offer? The reason I ask is that La Paz doesn't seem to have the cruise ship offerings that the standard Mexican port-of-call do.

Appreciate the feedback,

bb

Level Contributor
129 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need alternative shore excursions from NCL list

Hi!!!

We are soooooo EXCITED! I just spoke with Alejandra at Baja Outdoor Activities and booked for their half day 4 hour excursion! Cost is $45.00 which includes transport back to a location close to the ship.

The plan is to go into town and meet in the office where they will outfit us. She arranged for a tour guide to take us out kayaking, conveying there is much marine life in the pristine waters. WE CAN'T WAIT!!!

Thanks again for all your help, John and BB!!! I'll report back after the excursion! We will also try to stop by the restaurant to say hello and for a meal with our group !

With much appreciation........

Best,

Sharon