We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

We reserved a car through Fox during part of our stay in La Paz, Mexico. When I booked the car online, the total cost was $38 for three days including taxes. The unusually low price should have raised an alarm, but we booked it considering that Fox is a larger car rental company. Still, this turned out to be a mistake. Once we got to the front desk, the customer service rep was professional enough, but we where told about extra fees that would apply and these fees were absolutely not disclosed when we booked it online. Their web site also did not say that they put a $2,000 hold on your credit card even if you get their insurance. I have rented cars from several car rental companies in the past, including Fox, and we were completely surprised and upset by this practice not only because we felt duped by the total price we ended paying which was different than our online reservation but also because the credit card hold stayed in place for about two weeks after we turned the car back in.

I made sure to monitor my credit card transactions for a few weeks after the trip to make sure no unauthorized charges were made. Fortunately nothing unusual or fraudulent occured afterwards, but as a traveler on vacation, worrying about something like this is the last thing we wanted on our mind. We will not be renting cars from Fox again in La Paz or elsewhere because of this experience and we recommend that other travelers beware of this practice.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

I have rented cars all over Mexico and expect to pay about $40.00 USD a day when all is said and done...Anyone who thinks they will be able to rent a car in Mexico for less than $10 a day is foolish...

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

The point of my post was to inform travelers of shady pricing practices by an established car rental company not a small unestablished business where you would want to be more watchful regarding reservations and business practices. As such, I do not appreciate being called "foolish" by another Tripadvisor member. It's important for all travelers to feel comfortable about sharing their experiences both good and bad without being ridiculed in the process. I would like for this reply to my post to be removed. Thank you for your consideration.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

We have rented a car a couple times through Budget. We got the same deal. It says on the website that it will be around $10.00/day for a small car like an Aveo. But of course there are going to be taxes. And in Mexico you have to get their insurance. We were also surprised with the added hold of $2,000. So yeah, I know what you mean. To other travelers, they just need to be aware that there IS going to extra charges, like all companies.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

You must remember that the USA companies like Hertz, Avis, Budget etc. are run by the parent companies but in Mexico they are franchises run by individual owners who can and do take advantage of tourists...So how much was your final cost per day?

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

Is there any Cabo/La Paz car rental agencies that will NOT put a hold on your credit card if you purchase all the optional insurances? I am expecting to pay around $50+/day which would include the mandatory liability and the optional collision (CDL) insurance and taxes but do NOT want to have the HUGE hold on my credit card

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

I just reserved a car In La Paz through Holiday autos which as it turns out uses Fox for their supplier. I can not find out what they charge for their mandatory liability insurance as only options for collision seem to be offered on line. When we rented a car in Puerto Vallarta, we paid $13.00 a day for the minimum liability. Can any of you previous car renters provide me with information? Also what were the extra fees besides the liability insurance?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

Here is good info on rental car insurance in Mexico:

mexperience.com/guide/…5

I am not against renting a car whilst traveling in Mexico, but I do purchase all of the coverage available to me. I also just happen to be a Insurance Agent / Insurance Adjuster in a border State with first-hand experience in trans-border claims.

¡Se diviertán!

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
619 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

We just returned from touring Baja Sur. Fabulous! However: we Rented a mid size {=small VW jetta] with Fox- in LA PAZ--basically by accident as I went through Carrentals.com and didn't realize! ahhh! Anyway, we were well prepared with our own Third Party Mexican Liability insurance as we work and live in Mexico City and were warned about this another time. Plus, the info in TA says if there is proof of a Third Party Local insurance policy then we should be fine. Well, Fox looked it up and down and said the additional coverage HAD to be bought from THEM or they would not rent us the car.

My husband speaks Spanish well and fought this back and forth [something he usually doesn't ever do] but the woman behind the desk would not budge. I asked to see their policy info that she was quoting from but she said it was internal. We were furious. It quadrupled our quote, which we knew was lowish but this was outrageous. But it was 110 degrees and we were not at the airport any more so could not walk away knowing we had a car from another agency--and we were anxious to move on so went with paying their extra insurance. Than as we were signing the documents they said they were holding about 1900$ on our credit card! Again: we were livid! what a way to start the vacation! SO we checked it out and there were just a few scratches which were noted. We took off and knew instantly the car was not so new. But off we drove to Todos Santos. Enroute to the hospital the very next day [allergic reaction to a man of war jellyfish for my son] the AC makes this outrageously scary noise--we actually thought the air bag was about to blow--and then almost dies. We turned it off. 110degrees out! We are literally melting in the car. Luckily we didn't have far to drive to Cerritos where we had a beach house. But it kept making a horrific noise and barely worked whenever we used it. This was 2 week rental with 4 stops along the way!! ANyway, we just returned it --back to LAP and the real fun began. They said there were numerous scratches, many on the UNDERSIDE of the car??? There was also a missing box cover underneath?? that would cost 800$USD. They said there was excessive sand in the car and would charge us extra AND that the only reason the AC stopped working is because somehow WE let a plastic bag get sucked up the vent??!! My husband was outraged and disputed this all till he was blue in the face but they were not hearing it. They just emailed us now and said that we only owed an extra 260$ for the scratches from when the car was hit?? but since the box cover wasn't that important they wouldn't charge us the 800$. We are still furious as we saw no scratches and the car was not hit nor had any issues plus we were already made to pay an extra 350$ for 3rd party Mex insurance we already Have. And now this. Be warned and don't go near them!!

9. Re: Fox Car Rental - Shady pricing practices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about La Paz