We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

I am not new to internet travel sites and haven't used a travel agent in 20 years, but getting to Loreto from New Hampshire is driving me crazy. The family wants to do a kayak/snorkel tour out of Loreto for 4-6 days, visit La Paz, and go whale watch in Magdelena Bay. Looking at the end of June first part of July.

First, my three local airports are, Portland ME, Manchester NH and Boston MA. I am convinced I will need to use Boston for this trip. Next there is an airport in Loreto, La Paz and Cabo. I plan on renting a car, so I am OK with any of the three. But the flights I am pulling up on the search engines are either red eyes arriving in the morning, or leaving BOS at 6am and getting into Mexico at 11pm.

Is there a trick? Do you overnight in Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Dallas? Are there special days of the week to travel? Help I give up.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,765 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

I thought the whales were gone by June/July. Look into that more carefully. February and sometimes March are reported to be the best months.

There are more flights to SJD (San Jose del Cabo) than the other airports as Cabo & San Jose are more popular tourist destinations. So you might find more flights to SJD than to LTO or LAP. I'd say it's just under 2 hours to drive from SJD to the town of La Paz.

I don't have any suggestions about timing for flights from Boston or your area. Maybe ask on an active forum like Cabo (even tho' you don't want to go there.)

There are some multi-day kayak outfitters in La Paz. We used Mar y Aventuras and enjoyed their services. But we went in October when the ocean is warm (and we just overnighted one night on an island.) In June, the water is "fresh".

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

Thanks I am now looking at April or Nov. But still can't find a flight less than 19 hours.

Novi, MI
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

For whatever it is worth, I am having the same problems booking a flight from Detroit to La Paz or SJD or wherever near there between Christmas and New Years. I too was beginning to wonder if I was doing something wrong, even though I have booked several international trips on the internet over the last few years.

I keep doing endless combinations between nearby US airports and La Paz, Los Cabos and Loretto. I finally found a decent combination for under $1000 with about 12 hours of travel each way and reasonable layover - but that is still more time and money than I expected. Most of the flights are crazy however - 21 or even 36 hours of travel, red eye flights, arrivals at 1 am, overnight layovers etc.

Sorry - I wish I could help! I wonder if the airline price structure is designed to be confusing.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
30 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

You might want to consider a flight into Houston, spend the night, and then get an early flight into any of the locations in Baja. They seem to have good fares from Houston. We've also done this from San Diego and Phoenix.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

Out of Detroit there are good flights on US Air and on Air Tran...might consider using a travel agent who knows their ways around the flights...to save you money.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

A couple of choices. Fly Boston thru LAX to SJD leave at 7 a.m. and get into SJD at 4:00 p.m. and rent a car or get a airport transfer to La Paz. Best airlines out of Boston AA, Delta or Alaska. Second choice Fly Boston to LAX on Thurs. or Sun. AeroMexico has a direct flight into LaPaz those days otherwise you go thru Mexico City. Flight from Boston leaves at 7:00 Lax10:00 AeroMexico leaves at 2:00 p.m. and you would be in LaPaz by4:00. You could start in LaPaz and then either drive,bus or get transfer to Loreto.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
688 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

Hi Snorkl3guy,

the whales season is from December to early April, when they arrive is it even possible to see the whales while driving on the highway from Los Cabos to la Paz.

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

We are staying in La Paz in March 2014 and found great flights on United from Newark airport to the Cabo airport - non stop both ways and times are great. United and American are the biggies from the east coast and some Delta flights

9. Re: Can't Figure Out The Flights? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:20