We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride to Isla Espiritu Santo

Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Boat ride to Isla Espiritu Santo

Yesterday I drove to La Paz to snorkel with the lobos marinos (sea lions) on Isla Espiritu Santo. I arrived by 9:30, but the tour company was closed (in retrospect due to the high wind from the north). So I hurried to the first place I could find and just made the boat launch. It was a very small panga with seats for 5 guests: a middle-aged couple, an elderly couple, and me. I was stuck on the bow seat and subject to the most extreme bouncing on the waves. I thought it would be a 40-minute ride (as advertised on the other tour website). Every time we approached a point, we hung a left and kept going north. After 4 hours of being bounced around and slammed, the elderly couple understandably begged to turn around. So we did. No snorkeling with the sea lions for us.

Take-home lesson? Before booking a boat trip, ask yourself three questions:

1) How long will the journey take in the current weather?

2) How big is the boat (e.g. how much will you be tossed about by the waves)?

3) Where will I sit?

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat ride to Isla Espiritu Santo

4) Should I really go to sea on windy days when one tour company will not go?

California
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat ride to Isla Espiritu Santo

Good point. Unfortunately, I did not find out about the tour cancellation until that night, And bigger boats went there.

3. Re: Boat ride to Isla Espiritu Santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:16