We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for first time visitors to Loreta

Which Loreto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
323 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
tips for first time visitors to Loreta

Hi! I have read all the wonderful posts on Loreto and also have read a travel book on the area and read alot online. We are two adults with 2 20something daughters. We have stayed at a lot of beach homes in Mexico (but not Baja) and the Caribbean. We are renting a beach home in Loreta SHores. We are flying in from Nebraska, USA, to Cabo, then renting a car there and driving to Loreto. That is part of the adventure! We are laid back, like to relax, mingle with the locals, dine out, etc. I was wondering which beaches and where they are that people recommend? We also would like what side trips people would recommend and should we rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle or would a small car do fine? We really look forward to it!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

Hi LoriQ,

I'm from Cabo but have visited Loreto many times, and its a wonderful location! I wouldnt really recomend driving from Cabo after such an exhausting flight (I'ts about 6 hours going a decent speed), but it will definetly make it interesting to take in all the sights of the Baja! I believe I just read that new flights opened up to Loreto, just in case you haven't bought tickets yet.

When leaving SJD Airport, you have two choices you can take the signs that say La Paz or Cabo San Lucas, take the Cabo route as this will save you about an hour or more travel time, you will still pass through La Paz on your way north. The difference is the quality of the Highway is much better leaving from Cabo.

So anyways I got sidetracked there a bit! But Daytrips I like taking in Loreto are: a day trip to Isla Coronado, which is the smaller of the two Islands directly infront of Loreto, this one is an exctinct Volcano, with one of the most spectacular beaches I've seen in my life! And I'm well travelled. And not once have I not seen some form of spectacular Wildlife, last time I was there I saw Dolphins, Whales. Sealions and a myriad of Seabirds. I believe you can also take snorkel trips around the Island, with a final stop at its spectacular beach, tour operators in town will give you options.

Second sidetrip would have to be going to the Mission site of San Javier (Vigge-Biando), which is the site of the second mission to be succesfully founded in the Baja, after Loreto. The church is spectacular, and a walk around its one cobblestoned street, takes you way back in time! Also don't miss out on having a look at the fields and orchards behind the Mission, and a visit to the oldest living Olive tree in the Baja, it was planted back in Mission times and is around 300-250 years old!

Secondary notes would be, to take a fishing trip, visit Isla del Carmen, or maybe a trip to Santa Rosalia which is a interesting little former French Mining town, with a Church supposedly built by Gustave Eiffel, of the Eiffel tower fame!

OK so I wrote you a guide book almost! Hope this helps! Saludos!

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

To us, the 7 hr flight to Cabo is nothing! (we had 25 hrs of flights getting to Jamaica last year, lost of layovers). But we do plan on driving (after arriving in Cabo) to La Paz and spending a night there, then driving the remainder to Loreto (I just noticed my typo above in spelling "Loreto"--whoops).

Thank you very much for your input, those sound like things we should plan on, and I had read about them. Would you suggest a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

Thanks again!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

You're more than welcome! And no I don't think a 4-wheel drive is necessary unless you plan on Off-roading, the road to San Javier is now paved. and spending a night in La Paz is a great idea, in that case you could go the "long route" which takes about 2.5 hours from the Airport, and stop in San Bartolo for some burritos in town, and take a look at the mining towns of San Antonio and El Triunfo. For dinner in La Paz y highly recomend Caprichos Restaurant, right near the Cathedral, and Icecream from La Fuente along the Malecon.

Here's the link to Caprichos info. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150771-d1…

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

Thank you for the meal recommendation in La Paz! We will check it out. We were gonna try and get a room that first night at the Hotel Mediterrane, are you familar with it? There are 4 of us, but we want just one room and they had suites.

Also-what is the best way to go with phone service? I heard we can let our cell phone carrier know we will be in Mexico and they can make our phone work down there, but I am wondering if the roaming charges will be very high. Is it better to just pick up a cheap cell phone down there that comes with minutes or use a phone card from a pay phone? We wont be making a lot of calls back to the states, maybe 1 or 2 a day for the week long stay.

Lori

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

As far as that hotel and phone service I have no idea, you should talk to your phone service provider. And maybe Skype would be the cheapest alternative? Also check out the Tripadvisor Hotel ratings, to make a choice for La Paz.

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

Thanks! Will do!

Lori

7. Re: tips for first time visitors to Loreta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Loreto