We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

What do you find the safest way to cover your money? I'm not so worried once I get to the resort but getting there carrying thousands of dollars scares me.

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

ATM card. ATM machines are located everywhere. Bring $400 or $500 cash on you to get started and then use either credit cards and cash (pesos) from the ATM.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

I wouldn't use Credit Cards except at your resort or the car rental if you get one. Too many have had their numbers stolen. The receipts in Cabo print out your entire number so its easy to take. Cash, ATM or travelers checks

Reno, NV
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

On our first trip to Mexico we didn't inform our bank that we were traveling. (oops) They put our account on hold on a Sunday after only using the ATM once. It was a pain in the butt to get it cleared out. Also check the ATM fees as well at your bank. We were charged $7.50 each time we used the ATM.

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

You can use your Bank of America ATM card at any Santander Bank ATM in Los Cabos and there is absolutely no fee. You can take out as much as 5000 pesos per day. Let BofA know in advance that you will be using it in Mexico.

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
843 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

We find ATM the best way to get $$ when traveling outside the US. You usually get the best exchange rate plus we don't incur any fees when using an ATM at the banks.

We use CCs only when we have to because of foreign currency fees most CCs now charge and we did have fraudulent use of our CC a few years ago after using it in Cabo. Our bank called us when we got home and we said, sure, we were there, but then called us a few days later and said it was still being used.

Whatever you do, like the others have said, notify your bank and CC company and let them know where you are going and when you will return.

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

Thanks for all the help. I am a bit concerned about taking a little money and using ATM for the main source because if something went wrong we would have no money. We use Columbia bank so not as big as some. Thanks again.

7. Re: What do you carry? Cash? Credit, Travel checks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 04:16