We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo San Lucas Elopement

Orange Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Cabo San Lucas Elopement

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in Cabo sometime this fall (October or November) on a fishing trip. That is about the extent of the information that I have so far since he travels so much for his job and the exact dates are still up in the air. I was just hoping to get some advice on planning an extremely small ceremony for the two of us "on the fly" as most of the planning will likely be last minute once I have a date. (All legalities will be taken care of in the US before the trip) We will be staying with friends or on a boat in the marina, so a resort is not necessary..where would be some good places to look, out side of the mega-resorts to hold a small ceremony? Chapels, restaurants, beaches? Where would I find an officiant? Photographer? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

H

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

contact cabobound67 here on TA....she has set up small weddings for TAers. I've been to one on Pedregal beach she arranged.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

I'm not sure what you mean when you said, "All legalities will be taken care of in the US before the trip." If that means you will be legally married in the US before the trip, then ignore the rest of this message.

If you plan on getting legally married in Mexico, there are many hoops to jump through and it will take days to arrange it all. You have to be physically present in Mexico three business days before you can apply for a marriage license. You have to have your birth certificates and passports and visas with you, and the birth certificates have to have apostille-certified Spanish translations. You will need a blood test in Mexico with the results in Spanish. The blood test has to be completed three days before the wedding. You will need four witnesses over 18, all of them with passports and visas if they are not Mexicans.

If either of you have been divorced, you have to have proof of the dissolution of marriage and that it was more than one year prior to your wedding, again you will need all this accompanied by apostille-certified Spanish translations. The only legal wedding ceremony recognized in Mexico is a civil ceremony. Church weddings are not recognized. The ceremony must be held in Spanish and the clerk's wording is also specified by law, so no playing around with the wording is allowed. You can have a translator standing next to you to translate to English for you.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

I did not have to have birth-certs. and divorce documents translated into Spanish.......but things may have changed over the years...........was also able to have the blood-work done in the US.........but that may have also changed................did have to be there at least the 3 days prior, have the witnesses, etc., and the ceremony is LONG! (done by a judge) The then manager at the old Solmar translated.........thank goodness.............

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

Got married 4 years ago in Cabo. Didn't have anything translated (that I knew of, wedding coordinator may have taken care of it, but was no cost involved). Nothing had to be apostille certified. We were at a resort so doctor came right to our room to draw blood. That must be done in Mexico. Ceremony only lasted about 15 minutes and that included being translated by wedding coordinator.

Wasn't a lot of hoops to go thru, but did take a little planning. It was a beautiful ceremony at the Presidente.

Once home, nothing special needed to be done, except the usual, name change with social security and drivers license. Presented Spanish documents that were given to us the day following ceremony to SS and they gave me a letter to take to DMV.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,709 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

I do believe that having to have the bloodwork done in Mexico is a new rule.........and certainly nothing to cause problems......it was just nice to have that out of the way along with any other 'arrangements' we could do in advance.

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

shelb,

Thank you very much for your FIRST HAND knowledge from personal experience!

7. Re: Cabo San Lucas Elopement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 07:18