We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

Hello fellow travelers! My dh and I have always travelled to Dominican Republic or Cuba for our all-inclusive winter vacations but this year we want to try something new so are looking forward to a Mexican vacation in either Los Cabos or in Puerto Vallarta in mid/late January

My question is this; I see that the Barceló Los Cabos (which gets fab reviews) is changing to a Hyatt Ziva come November. Should this be of concern for us coming late January? I've never been to a resort so soon after a change-over and am hoping it doesn't "go downhill" in a short time. Thoughts?

Second, I mentioned considering Puerto Vallarta as well. We are travelling just the 2 of us (late 30's-50's), 4-5 star resort, $1600 max budget per person (taxes in), not looking for off-resort clubbing but enjoy resort discos or lively lobby bars in the evening, good food!, nice room, scenic location, a great pool area (we are pool people primarily but enjoy beach walking...not ocean swimmers), clean/nice amenities, and consistent (well, as much as it can be in the Caribbean...lol) WARM/HOT weather. We've gone to Cayo Santa Maria in Cuba the last couple of years and the evenings (and a lot of days) tend to be cool to downright cold in January.

Given all that, would you suggest Los Cabos or Puerto Vallarta? Or somewhere else in Mexico?

Thanks in advance!

B.C.
Level Contributor
984 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

Being pool people, mabe you would like to know that the pools in Cabo are really beautiful at many resorts, with infinity pools and views of the ocean. Most beaches are unswimmable but the ocean in Cabo is so beautiful to watch. We love Cabo, but I don't know if the winter would have the weather, water temps that you want. Maybe if you can confirm that pools are heated would help. I know some say they heat them, but it's Mexico....

We've only been to Cabo in May, June and July. People say it's pretty cold in January, sometimes windy. You can need pants and jackets in the morning and evening. We were in Puerto Vallarta one March and found the ocean and pools cold, but I don't know about Jan. Friends went to Playa del Carmen in Dec and Jan. They were wearing jackets and pants some of the time. We like it hot when we are on holidays. Just from researching, it sounds like further south, maybe Huatulco would be more consistent for warm weather through the winter.

I'm interested in the Barcelo changing to Hyatt for friends of ours. That's where they are planning to honeymoon either end of November or in the new year. Barcelo is a new resort though. I've heard it won't be alot of renos, but other changes could affect things, such as staffing, management, etc. Hyatt is new to doing all inclusive so it will be interesting.

p.s. If you post about Barcelo in the San Jose del Cabo forum or the Cabo San Lucas forum, you might get more answers. Not many people see the Los Cabos forum.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 23:10
Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

Thanks Ladybug for your prompt reply! The temperature thing has me a bit concerned. We've been caught in Cuba in January when it was cold and it surely puts a damper on the vacation! We discussed going back to Punta Cana where it was consistently warm in January, but really would like to try Mexico without doing the Cancun Strip thing.

I will check out Huatulco as well. Thanks!

Any other opinions welcome as well!

Midwest
Level Contributor
562 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

Don't know about the Barcelona but we have been to Cabo in January several times. Last year it was cool, cloudy and windy. Every other year, it was in the low 80s with a warm sun--and just perfect for pool time.

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

You're starting to give me hope...lol. Am looking on TA at Punta Cana as we speak but really had my heart set on Mexico this year. But with that said, I'm a hot weather lover (my husband isn't but hey, he told me to pick the location...lol) so feeling uneasy now about Los Cabos in January....

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

You can go to the Cancun region without having to stay at on the Cancun strip. The area is known as Riviera Maya and extends from Cancun to Tulum. There are many resorts to choose from. A very good, mid-range price resort is Valentin Imperial Maya. Located in Playa del Secreto, about halfway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen, it's an adults only, no wristband, no reservation ala carte dining resort. Not any resorts adjacent, so it feels secluded. The weather in that area will be warmer than Cabo in January and I think they heat their pool.

If you have any specific questions on this resort, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to help. We've been there twice.

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

Thanks for the great info! I will look into that.

7. Re: Barcelo/Hyatt Situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:18