We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

This link to U-Tube has a brief intro. with Ms. Briggs playing with Yanni at the Acropolis. Then she speaks about Rosarito. She was last in Rosarito to celebrate the wedding of a relative.

http://www.youtube.com/RosaritoBeachVideos

San Diego
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

I was also a guest at the wedding, and stayed the night at the hotel. Overall our experience was very enjoyable. It's just too bad that more people aren't visiting the area. We had a great time at the resort. On the way home we drove through downtown Rosarito but unfortunately didn't stop because my girlfriend was very worried about being the only tourist in the city as we did not see anybody from the states walking around. That's not to say it wasn't safe, just that she wasn't comfortable being the only tourists since there are not a lot of visitors.

I look forward to going back to the area once everything settles down and more people start visiting again.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

I live there 7 mts. of the year, and there is a large ex-pat community there. Unfortunately, tourism is down, waaay down, but it is safe. The violence is drug on drug related; Americans are not the targets. To keep things in perspective, remember that last year more Americans were murdered in New Orleans than Americans who died of all causes in the entire country of Mexico. It's truly unfortunate that the drug cartels are causing so much violence, but they aren't interested in American tourists. A few weeks ago, 4 Americans were killed in Rosarito--BUT they were drug dealers. Unfortunately, the American press rarely reports the drug connections; they leave it at "nice American kids who came to harm in Tijuana." To get to the area where the violence occurs, you'd have to work hard: it's on the far, far east side of Tijuana, and you'd know long before you got there it wasn't the place for you to be. It would be like taking a scenic tour of Watts when you were in L.A.--except that in Tijuana, it's not just getting off at the wrong exit that lands you in that territory. Your girlfriend would be safe as long as you're not involved in any way with drugs.

Tehachapi
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

pstreet said:

"To keep things in perspective, remember that last year more Americans were murdered in New Orleans than Americans who died of all causes in the entire country of Mexico."

Well, I read your statement three times and I just cannot make any sense out of it. American is populated with Americans and Mexico is populated with Mexicans...and there are very few Americans in Mexico at any time, especially now. What if I said to you: "To keep things in perspective, remember that last year more Tahitians were murdered in Tahiti than Tahitians who died from all causes in Iceland."

That is the equivalent of what you said. Does it make any sense to you?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

Very few? In 2008, it is estimated that 17 million, six hundred thousand (that’s 17,600,000) Americans visited Mexico.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

And about 7.6 million people visited New Orleans last year.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

Overall, the city is at about 72% of its pre-Katrina population of 450,000.

Tehachapi
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

Well, perhaps I did not properly explain the problem with your comparison. You compared the total number of murders in New Orleans to the number of American tourists who were murdered in Mexico.

A balanced comparison would be either comparing the total number of murders in New Orleans to the total number of murders in an equivalent tourist city in Mexico. Or, you could compare the total number of TOURISTS who were murdered in New Orleans to the total number of TOURISTS who were murdered in a comparable city in Mexico.

You did neither. You compared the total number of murders in New Orleans to the number of TOURISTS murdered in Mexico. That is clearly an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I just checked, and I can find no record of any TOURISTS murdered in New Orleans in recent history. Conversely, the news is full of American tourists murdered in Baja. Four youths from Chula Vista found murdered in a van in Tijuana after going to a party in TJ. An El Cajon man murdered in Tecate in front of his wife and three children. A 19-year old from Orange County stabbed to death on the beach in TJ. There is also a news clip about a San Diego couple who had their truck stolen at gunpoint right in front of the Fox Studios in Rosarito. All of this is within the last 6 weeks or so.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

Believe what you will and make your own decision about whether to visit Rosarito or not--clearly, you fear going and should not do so.

The comparison was not intended to do anything but point out that there are dangerous cities everywhere, including the U.S. The murder rate in New Orleans is higher than the murder rate in Tijuana (murder rate = number killed per 100,000 of population), and gang activity was probably the major component there as cartel activity is the major component in Tijuana. The American deaths you cite have been directly linked to drugs, but of course, the media doesn't point that out. There is no question that it is very dangerous to be connected in any way with drugs on either side of the border.

For those who are not connected with drugs and for the large ex-pat population in the area, Rosarito has been, and contines to be, a lovely place to be--as the violinist said. And, of course, one's perceptions have to be the way one judges his own safety. I have only shared my perceptions which I have gathered from living in Rosarito most of the year for the past several years, and I'm sorry that my comparing apples and oranges offended you; that was not my intention.

9. Re: Karen Briggs, world famous violinist, speaks on Rosarito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 06:18