We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Lobster Dinner?

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
185 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Lobster Dinner?

Hi, we are going to Rosarito with our seven year old daughter. My husbands' friends have told him that there is a great restaurant with a cheap lobster dinner there. I have no idea where to look this info up! Anyone that can help, please let me know!

Also, we are going to be taking the mexicoach from the border parking to Rosarito. Is this safe for my husband and me and seven year old daughter? I am kind of worried about taking her across the border.

(oh I have been to TJ, but that was just with a friend and me, I was advised NOT to take my daughter to TJ).

Thanks!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

You'll be perfectly safe. However, the Mexicoach is going to leave you literally miles from Puerto Neuvo, the lobster village your husband's friend was probably talking about. I would suggest that you rent a car or drive your own so you are in control of your schedule and where you can go. Driving is not scary at all, and you would be taking a very well maintained 4 lane toll road south. The stories you read about driving in Mexico really don't have any basis in fact in my experience. We live in Rosarito part time (when it's too hot to breathe in Phoenix) and we have many friends who live in Rosarito full time, as well as friends who live in Cabo full time. We, and all of them, drive in Mexico all the time, and not one of us has been stopped by the police, harrassed, had the car stolen or attacked, needed to guard the car--and everyone we know drives new or newish cars--in short, it simply isn't a problem. However, a bus trip with a 7 year old when you have to wait for a specific time for pick up and you wonder what you are going to do until then is not my idea of a fun way to travel with a child. Renting a car for a day might cost you $60.00, but in my opinion, it would be well worth it--and you need not be afraid.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

If I can be of any help to you with further information about Rosarito, restaurants, etc., feel free to contact me by email:

Pstreet1@aol.com

So CA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

As a part-time resident in Rosarito, we drive down there very often. Even in town most drivers (except for some CA tourists!) are courteous. I'm sure Mexican buses are fine also, but we haven't used them yet in that area. We've found the people down there very courteous and helpful. Of course some caution is advised when parking at night in Rosarito or environs.

Puerto Neuvo is the place everyone goes for lobster, and a dinner there averages about $17. We also like a place in town, about two blocks north of the Rosarito Beach Hotel called Vinces. They have comparable lobster dinner prices plus lots of good fish dinners. They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Vinces is popular with both tourists and residents, and prices are very reasonable. We never have any tummy problems afterwards either. Don't expect any atmosphere to speak of though, unless you like mariachi's always parading through, and sometimes their loud (and joyful) music, flower sellers, photographers, etc. in this retro-looking Mexican restaurant over 50 years old.

San Diego
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

TxGrrl

We're from San Diego & drive down often. The initial border crossing is a bit hectic otherwise its great to have your own car down there.

Avis & Advantage let you rent & cross the border. Mexican Insurance is about $20 additional per day.

Pstreet1 & Penguin; We're going to skate, yes, I said skate the R2E race in April. Can you give us some pointers on places to eat? We're renting a house near La Fonda.

We'll have 3 couples & two tiny ones (under 2).

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

Send me an email and I'll email you a very impressive list of restaurants (if I do say so myself). Pstreet1@aol.com

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

How far is it from San Diego to Puerto Nuevo?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

Puerto Neuvo is about kilometer 45 on the free road. It will take you about 30-45 min. to drive there from the border.

Southern, Louisiana
Level Contributor
217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

Some of you said Take your own car. We went to Rosarito in Jan. Coming back in Tijuana we were rear ended by a US citizen going about 85. Still not feeling great. We spend 5 hours in a Mexican police station and have had to return 7 times to the Mexican Insurance company. If you even dare to drive there get Mexican insurance. The guy that hit us did not have it and we are getting pennies on the dollar for the value of our car. DO NOT DRIVE IN MEXICO. Take a cab or motor coash. It has been a nightmare and you can't sue the person even if they are a US citizen. Thank God we have medical insurance because if we did not we would have to have been treated in Mexico. Do not drive in Mexico for any reason. If we had not had insurance they told us we would have spent time in Jail in Mexico if a Mexican citizen was involved in the accident. Your US insurance does not cover you in Mexico.

Sorry to be negative but folks need to be forewarned about the risk.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

It is absolutely true that if you drive in Mexico, you must have Mexican insurance. It is also true that if you don't have it, you will go to jail if there is an accident and someone is injured or their property is damaged.

It is also true that you could have been driving in the U.S. and been hit by an uninsured motorist and found yourself in an insurance nightmare.

I'm sorry that your experience was a bad one, but millions of Americans drive in Mexico every year and have no more problems than they would in the U.S.

Imperial Beach
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Lobster Dinner?

I have not personally had problems driving in Mexico (except a few rough roads near La Fonda), but I know 3 people (my brother, girlfriend, and another friend) who have been robbed by the police on 3 separate occasions while driving in Mexico. They even took my girlfriend to the ATM to withdraw bribe money. I am going down in May with my wife, and I will take the bus. Maybe its safer now than it was 5 years ago, but the problem is that there is no recourse if you are the unlucky person that runs into problems. I mean, who are you going to tell, the police? For the record, I would drive in Mexico, just not near the border.