We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport

Which San Felipe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellflower...
1 post
Save Topic
passport

I'm a us citizens do I need a passport to enter or leave? I was told we only need id & social security card.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport

Even though your passport may not be checked on entering Mexico it is a U.S. requirement to have a passport to re-enter the U.S.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport

You need a passport to enter and leave a must!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport

You need a passport to enter and leave a must!

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport

As a US citizen you can not be turned away by immigration or border control to re-enter the USA if you are walking or driving across the border.....

Usually folks without a passport have a drivers license and birth certificate to show officials...

Said officials may not be happy and you might have a longer time getting through but you will get through,

some folks like the cavity search,LOL .....

Edited: 04 July 2014, 17:01
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport

Gwen H,

Welcome to TA!

Here is a link to your question, as answered by the US Dept. of State:

…state.gov/content/…do-i-need.html

In traveling to the interior of Mexico (San Felipe would be considered the interior), the short answer is yes; yes you need a Passport as your official identification as to just who you are. If you were only going to a border town for perhaps a daytrip (e.g. Mexicali), then you would not need a Passport.

I know that back in the late 80's, I would frequently cross the border to Mexico (e.g. Nuevo Laredo and Reynosa, and occasionally Matamoras Mexico) for a daytrip or shopping to pick up a few cases of Corona or whatever, and no, I did not need anything more than my Texas driver's license.

However that was all before 9/11. Now with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), I would not try to cross without my US Passport Card; it is always in my wallet if I ever need it. And I would certainly never travel to the interior of Mexico without it. A Social Security card is not an ID.

Se diviertan.

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport

That is NOT what the information in the link says. Unless you're under 16, you need a passport, and you will be severely inconvenienced if you try to return without one.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport

Wrong David92562,

I went to the US Customs & Border Patrol website and asked them the question about a US citizen returning to the USA without a passport,here is a copy of the email response I received:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

A United States citizen will not be refused entry to the US as long as they have evidence of their citizenship (i.e. US birth certificate and driver's license).

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport

You will not be "refused entry" but you could still be "seriously inconvenienced". Both posts are correct!

9. Re: passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about San Felipe
Recent Conversations