We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam alert on San Diego / Tijuana border parking lot

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura
2 posts
Save Topic
Scam alert on San Diego / Tijuana border parking lot

OK, call me stupid and I do know better. Now I just want others not to fall victim to this con artist. Please no lectures.

While walking back to my car in the $9 lot at the border x'ing a Caucasian woman talking on a cell phone approached us and told us a story about her car problems and she had to take the train back to Temecula. She had he 94 yr mother sitting in the car and had no money.

"Michelle" claimed to be a nurse from Orange County. She was about mid 50s, 5'5"-5'7", 160-175lbs, straight dark hair, sunglasses, a whining high pitched voice, no accent, articulate, pale complexion.

I too have an aging parent at home and felt her pain. I had no change to give her so I gave her a $20 and my address to mail me back a check. I doubted it but what if it were true and she was stuck there? A woman in a seedy desolate border parking lot.

This was over 3 weeks ago and no check. It was an exercise in human nature. One person helping another who happens to be a con artist. Would I do it again? Maybe, but I was verify some facts first. Like I would want to see her mother, her car, get her ID, etc. It was dusk and the walk to where she said her mother was was far. In hindsight it was fishy.

"Michelle" is probably a successful career conwoman who is bankrupt of any moral/ethical fiber and in some ways I feel sorry for her. But then again that's the type of person I am.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scam alert on San Diego / Tijuana border parking lot

Wrong forum

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scam alert on San Diego / Tijuana border parking lot

Why "Wrong Forum?" It's on the parking lot for those crossing into Tijuana. Tijuana is still Baja, though obviously, the border. The fact that the lot is located in California doesn't negate the post for those going to Tijuana; many park there and walk across.

San Diego
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scam alert on San Diego / Tijuana border parking lot

This stuff happens anywhere. It has happened to me in the Walmart parking lot here in San Diego. My personal philosophy is that I would rather give money to a hundred people who are scamming me, than refuse money to someone who really needs it. What comes around goes around. Might be just my life history, but I have been helped by strangers when I most needed it, and am very grateful.

4. Re: Scam alert on San Diego / Tijuana border parking lot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 06:23