We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip to Mexico

Allentown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Quick Trip to Mexico

I'm sure 1000 people have asked this same question, but I see so many mixed reviews so I'm hoping someone can help to our situation specifically. My boyfriend and I are in our mid 20's looking to go to Mexico for a quick trip in April (we live in Orange County, but are both from the East Coast). I've been looking at Tijuana, Rosarito, and Ensenada. We're planning on going Friday afternoon and coming back Sunday. We're looking for more than just a weekend at the beach... we'd love to see some culture and eat some good food. We also like to dance so would love to see some night life as well. Any suggestions as to what city to go with would be appreciated! Also if anyone has recommendations about crossing the boarder, where to park our car, or good places to stay would help as well. Thank you in advance!

7 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

What type of lodgeing are you lookinh for budget wise and what ammenties are you looking for? For a first timer to Tijuana I would reccomend you stay on Ave revolucion there you will get night life a feel of there culture.. And the next day you can Uber down to rosarito which is a good beach area. Since it's your first time I would stay at hotel ticuan or if you want more of a, Mexican feel I would stay at hotel ceasar.also the uh have restraunt there with the ceasor salad was invented.. I usually stay at hotel Puebla amigo cause it right by the border plus I have friends who who work there .that hotel comes with free to parking. Same with ticuan ceasars has valet parking parking.. But I would advise to park on the us side of the border drivin I n Tijuana can be dangerous meaning if you think the people in California drive crazy it's takes awile to get used tooo. If you make Ave revolucion your base and Those hotel's als and might have good advice were to go.. With the food you won't go wrong I don't think I ever tasted any bad food in Tijuana . If you go to the hotel section you can read about those hotels and people reviews. Once you Cross the border you will see tons of cabs tell them what hotels your gonna be at.. It should cost you no more than 5 dollars or less or you can Uber there. If you get in a cab negotiate the price beforehand Bear in mind it's spring break some hotels maybe fullly booked as I'm looking now. But like I said for a first timmer revolution is were you want to make your base

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

I just read you wanted to go to ensenada. Actually I would go there. More culture there you can Cross the border and take the abc bus.i know were it is but don't know how to described to there but the guy on here travllarca can tell you.. I would either stay in Tijuana by revolucion or in ensanda by first street if you want to stay by rosarito or see it I still would stay in Tijuana it's only a 15 min drive to rosarito from Tijuana

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

For what you want, I would think Tijuana would do you very nicely. Not that Ensenada isn't awesome, but Tijuana is more lively.

For restaurants, what kind of food do you want, and how much do you want to spend?

For nightlife, Calle Sexta (6th) between Constitución and Madero is the hub of nightlife in Tijuana, everything from cantinas (El Dandy del Sur) to craft beer bars (La Chouffe, La Tasca de la Sexta) to mezcalerías (La Mezcalera) to more antros (nightclubs) than you can shake a stick at.

Make sure you visit Pasaje Rodriguez, between 3rd and 4th and between Revolución and Constitución, for arts and cafes and things.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

And there are plenty of hotels on Ave revolucion to stay at.. As I said there are more than what I said.. On revolucion you can get hotels for $30 dollars a night to up to close to $100 dollars a night. It depends on what ammenties you want just read the hotel section and reviews and ask about the hotel.. This are the hotels I have stayed at.. Now.. Hotel Anna, ceasar hotel, hotel ticuan, Puebla amigo hotel, holiday inn in Tijuana, Hampton inn by the airport in Tijuana, real inn and b my hotel.. My favorite is hotel pueblo amigo if I stay by revolution it's hotel ticuan . It's by a night club that's been there forever called Las pulgas its a night club that plays todays and yesterday day music. It's very loud it's a party scene there on the weekemds..

Allentown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

Thank you! We're not looking to spend a whole lot on this trip, but if there's something worth seeing/eating then we'd be willing to pay! We're not picky, just looking for some good food and a good time.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

I would stay a hotel ceaser it's not expensive to stay there you can get rooms there for like $35 dollars if you walk up and not reserve the online but reserve the hotel directly over the phone or just walk up.. And the have a good restraunt there too very cheap and and it does not cost that much and the food is very good.. You really don't have to dress up there I see people that do.. Bit I have gone with like a regular shirt and jeans. I see some people dress up there and some don't it's very caususl..

Edited: 27 March 2018, 01:55
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Quick Trip to Mexico

If you want to up your budget to pay like 65 to 75 dollars a night for a hotel basically on the same street as ceasor hotel and it depends on when you book it. I would chose hotel ticaun its right by the mexican club las pulgas that plays mexican and American. Music.. I would say hotel ceasar and ticuan are the most popular hotels in that area.. Whats the difference between them besides price... Ticaun has ac and heating in each room..Caesars has some or some dont work and have ceiling fan.. Hotell ticuan has window view in each room of the city..hotel ceasar some rooms have a window view but you just get the view of a wall...hotel ceasar has a safty deposit box at the front desk to put your valuables. Hotel ticaun has a in room safe in each room.. Ticaun has free tolietriies hotel ceasar you have to bring your own or buy from thier vending machinee.hotel ticaun gives out. 2 bottles free water. Per night and ice on request. Dont remember if ceasar gives out free water but i know they dont have ice..hotel ticuan has free parking hotel ceasar has paid valet parrking...both of them have a restraunt and a bar. But hotel ticaun has rooom service ceasar does not.. Ceasar does not have an elevator to the rooms but ticaun does...ticaun has a gym and spa ceasar does not. Both do not have pool. Ticuan has a Jacuzzi in some rooms.both hotel get sold out fast too..this is not a really good comparison because you cant really compare us hotels to mexican hotels.. But i would say hotel ceasar is. Like a motel 6 and hotel ticuan is like a holiday inn express

If your looking for super cheap food besides restraunts many people selling cheap food on the street. You can get like hotdog,tacos,mexican corn, fruit, mexican juices and fruits and a lot of other food items people on the street sell for like a dollar or less but i usually give more than a dollar.some of the stuff i ate had no idea what they were but it is good..if your looking for like that cheap..i always get some kind of street food when im down there whether to eat or snack on.

Edited: 29 March 2018, 06:22
Reply to: Quick Trip to Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted