We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tijuana Safe???

San Diego, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Tijuana Safe???

Hi,

My wife and I live in San Diego, but have tickets to fly out of Tijuana to Oaxaca this Friday (3/19). To get to the Tijuana airport we have to take a shuttle from the border. Does anyone see any problem with this? All the news about violence in the border areas (including Tijuana) is making her scared, and we are seriously considering canceling our trip, at no small loss.

Besides possible drug violence, is there any reason to be afraid of walking from the border to the shuttle waiting on the other side?

Any help would be much appreciated. We have to make a quick decision.

Thanks!

1. Re: Tijuana Safe???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 11:42
California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tijuana Safe???

Hi;

I Don't see any reason for cancel a drive through TJ. to be in airport

for your Mexico trip. The Tourists are Safe in TJ. as in downtown L.A.

3. Re: Tijuana Safe???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 13:43
California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tijuana Safe???

Hi;

The walk from Mexico turntile border to bus stop on Revolucion Ave.

next to Mc. Donald is appx. 15 minutes Max. Just follow the crowd

to downtown TJ.

The only thing in TJ. Can scare Me is driving my own vehicle through

this town . I only Have Done it 1 time and It was 25 years ago and Never

again .

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tijuana Safe???

We drive through Tijuana 2 or 3 times a week--no problem.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tijuana Safe???

Hi;

I mean driving my own car for a visit in TJ.

I always park the car on the USA border site and walk

through the gate to TJ. for a day or 2 days tour

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tijuana Safe???

I have a similar question:

I will be visiting friends in LA next month, and then was going to spend a couple of days in Ensenada. To break up the jouney, I was planning on spending one night in TJ.

If I were to walk across the border, and take legitimate taxi to a decently priced hotel, am I basically putting my life in danger? A similar thread on the San Diego forum makes it seem that way. Without discounting the very real perils caused by the cartels, I have to think there is a certain amount of over-reaction, but I'd appreciate anybody's feedback.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
316 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tijuana Safe???

Hi all,

I'm frm Singapore, i will be visiting San Diego again next month. Would like to plan a trip to Tijuana since it's quite near San Diego, i have not been to Mexico before.

But it's a real eye opener reading this forum as i never thought Mexico is such a dangerous place. (maybe due to i live far away in Asia).

So, is it safe for me to visit this place? Btw any nice places of interest in Tijuana besides the "adult disneyland" that i read. thanks

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tijuana Safe???

J-A-W-P: My last visit to TJ was over a year ago, so I can't give you any up-to-the minute insights on what the city is like today. However, I've never felt in danger during any of the trips I've taken over the border. I've driven my own car in Tijuana (not something I recommend), ridden in a taxi, taken a city bus and walked around-------never had a problem of any kind. However, there HAVE been some documented incidents in the past, so I'm reluctant to tell you there's no danger whatsoever. But, as far as I know, there have been no robberies of Americans in the central part of the city, which is where you apparently intend to stay. The holdups seem to have been on the highway that goes south to Rosarito, and they've been at night. My hunch is that the people who were targeted were in possession of something that looked especially valuable. And I also suspect that the robberies were set-ups of some sort. But that's just a guess. So, as long as you don't look too affluent you shouldn't attract any unwelcome attention from anyone.

10. Re: Tijuana Safe???

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 12:28