We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Huntington, West...
5 posts
Save Topic
March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

I will be going to Tijuana for about 6 days in March 2011. I do not have a passport. Can I use a certified US airport and a state issued Drivers license. Where can I find the "rules" on this?

Thanks!

Irving, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Hi

I trying to go mexico with my 2kids I only have my recedent card and my kids birthcetificate can go in like that mexico and come back?

Irving, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Hi

I trying to go mexico with my 2kids I only have my recedent card and my kids birthcetificate can go in like that mexico and come back?

Tijuana, Baja...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
73. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

El foro aquí trata de Tijuana, no de Chihuahua. Sin embargo, hablas de una tarjeta de residente y ésta cumple con los requisitos de identifcación. Por si los actas de nacimiento de tus niños menores de 16 años sean gringas y certificadas, no habrá problema en pasar la Línea al norte. Encuentras más información con los malvados de cbp.gov/travel/…whti-program-background

Save Reply
74. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

I know this is a super old post but I am kindve new at this crossing thing. I have a son who is staying with his dad in TJ for a while. I'm going to bring him home for a few weeks and i'm curious to know, if he has his valid passport, am I okay to just cross with my UT DL & CA birth certificate? It's a bit different because I had to show proof of citizenship just to obtain his passport so if I take my birth certificate and his as proof that I am in fact his mother would that be a quicker way to cross? I don't want to get stuck at the border for hours since it'll just be a quick pick up and turn around back home. I don't go anywhere really so spending money on a passport card would just not be worth it, plus I have no time to obtain one as I'm heading down there now.

Tijuana, Baja...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
75. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

DHS's job at the border is to confirm your identity and your nationality. Photo ID, such as a driver's license, confirms identity. A certified birth certificate confirms where you were born. Passports (even expired ones) and the enhanced driver's licenses of Michigan, New York, Vermont, Washington, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Québec do both. Minors under 16 years of age are not expected to have photo ID.

The lanes entering the U.S., both vehicular and pedestrian, now segregate into SENTRI, Ready Lane, and all others. SENTRI is an expensive program for frequent crossers. Ready Lanes are for people with RFID chips (passports, enhanced driver's licenses, green cards).

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Travel Seguro, there is no permit (for a person or a car) required to enter Baja. Mexican insurance, though, is a requirement. Other sources are www.mexpro.com and AAA or one of the roadside stands advertised before entering Mexico. I, like you, think it's easier to buy it on line ahead of time.

Michigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

You must have a passport or because its Mexico you can use a enhanced drivers license to cross into mexico or Canada you dont need it to get into the country you will need it to get back into the states also make sure you fill up with gas before you cross into mexico so you will not have to get gas in mexico it is not uncommon for police to watch for foreign travelers to stop them and try to scare you into paying fines for something you didn't do like parking illegally do not make any stops in Tijuana

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

We buy gas all the time in Mexico in order to avoid paying California prices. We've never had a problem--and that's 15 years + of experience.

De Soto, Missouri...
1 post
Save Reply
79. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

How Bizarre It is easier for an illegal to get in the United States than for a tourist who just spent a shitload in TJ Mexico

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

I understand your sentiment, of course, but having to prove your identity is definitely easier than having to walk across the Arizona desert or being crowded into some container with no food and water and being transported to some unknown spot.