We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff-by-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

I live 48 miles north of the Mexico Border, going to Leon via Tijuana airport in a couple weeks, morning flight. Our flight doesn't coordinate with volaris shuttle or greyhound. Were considering driving, long term parking at Otay Mesa, or shuttling the day before and staying at a hotel near the TIJ airport, having someone pick us up at the border on the return.

The complication is Im going with my sister who can walk okay, but slowly and not great distances (has rheumatoid arthritis).

Just looking for the easiest way to do this (my first time using TIJ, but couldnt resist their prices are 1/2 of US carriers and good direct flights).

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

Spending the night in TJ before your flight will be better for you and your sister to avoid all the rushing and stress.

Cardiff-by-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

i think you are right! thank you.

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

Hi! Hope your Mexico trip went well. How was your experience with hotel and shuttle to TJ? My husband and I are flying out of TIJ airport to Leon in Feb. and looking for a hotel that we can spend one night in , leave our car for the week and get a shuttle to the TIJ airport. Did you find any options like this when you went?

Cardiff-by-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

I didn't stay at a hotel - I live 40 miles north of the border; we did take a shuttle door to door to the airport -- it was pricey (i think 140) but since it was first time, we did it that way. All was fine, EXCEPT the return --- shuttle took forever -- was held up at the border for no reason (shuttle bus that contracts with the volaris airline)

My sister and i surmised it was a petty racial harassment -- because there were only mexicans on the bus and visible, we were in the back...after two hours of sitting in the 'fast lane' area with cars zooming by - my sister (very fair skinned blonde) got up and went to the driver to ask if we could get off and walk over -- just then the border folks noticed and waved us through! dont think it was coincidence.

I would recommend just parking long term at San Ysidro, walking over and getting a cab to the airport. There is one long term parking place at otay too but I am not familiar with it, and I dont think very many people walk over Otay like they do at San Ysidro.

If you need a hotel there is one of the chains nearby that lets you park for a reasonable fee, they don't shuttle you to the airport though. The airport is very close to the border, it is modern and efficient, and everyone is helpful. The only sensible thing is to take a cab, the volaris shuttle runs on irregular times, if it happens to work for you , you CAN take it right from San Ysidro side to the airport...but I would not recommend doing it on the return. Just get a taxi at the airport, and they will drop you at the border where the pedestrian line is. You could sit hours in that shuttle bus, via just walking over in 20 minutes or less.

Even if the foot lines look long coming back to the US, they go very quickly.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

Try www.sdfivestarlimo.com the are reliable and courteous, and will do Door to Door pickups to and from Tijuana Airport (619) 294 - 3300

Cardiff-by-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

I've used this service to Tijuana and they were good, courteous, prompt, (price was about $140 for door to door service from North County to TJ airport, its less from downtown San Diego),

Ideal to use them on the return , IMO, since that is the hassliest part of the whole thing.

Costa Mesa...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

The best and safest way to get to Tijuana airport is by parking your car at Otay Mesa border and to either walk across and take a taxi to the airport or to park at Delta Truck Parking and take their shuttle service to the airport of Tijuana. It is safe, fast and cheap. I have used their park and shuttle service. It is a commercial parking lot with room for cars and big rigs. It's attended 24 hours and fully monitored. You can give them a call at 619-690-7992 or check out their websites. In English at http://www.otaymesaparking.com and for Spanish at http://www.aeropuertodetijuana.com.mx. I highly recommend them if you prefer to park and be shuttled to the airport. Or you can simply park, walk across the border and take a taxi for $12 dollars to the airport. if you don't know where to take a taxi to the airport in Tijuana Otay, check this video on youtube also created by this parking lot; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Eh3_YRmlY. if you need to know where to take a taxi, check this video out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrfmaAFkiwA.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

I can second the delta trucking parking lot, and I loved the ease of it. They drop you off and pick you up at the boarder.

9. Re: Tijuana airport 9am flight, logistics, shuttle, drive/park ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:15