We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to TJ

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip to TJ

I’m a Canadian and plan to have a 13-days road trip on Vancouver, BC- Big Sur, CA- San Diego, CA.

Is it justify to have 2~3 days trip to TJ with my own car (for insurance, I’ll consult BCAA) or rent a car at TJ?

Or, just make 1-day trip?

Please advice.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to TJ

You can buy the required MEXICAN 3rd party insurance (to cover any damage you might do to others or their property--not to cover your vehicle) for about $10.00 a day from insurance salesmen in little offices on both sides of the border, or you can buy it on line from a provider like www.mexpro.com Whether you buy from them or not, they have an excellent web site that explains the insurance situation clearly. You purchase it for the days you will be in Mexico, only.

In my opinion, your better vacation spot is 30 miles south of Tijuana in Rosarito Beach, but I'm, obviously, biased. The road to get to Rosarito is a 4 lane, divided highway (a toll road, which costs about $1.25 each way--the exact amount depends on the exchange rate that day). Rosarito offers the same shopping as Tijuana, and it has lovely beaches, friendly people, inexpensive lodging, and good food--but then, I live there. :)

There is absolutely no reason not to take your own car. It's safe. All my friends who live there drive new or "newish" cars with American plates; no one has ever had any problem--and we've owned there for 14 years; some of our friends have lived there full-time for over 20 years and never experienced a problem.

In my opinion, a one day trip tells you nothing about Mexico and gives you no taste of what it is like. Driving 30 more miles would, in my opinion, accomplish that.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to TJ

You have a message--top right of this screen, a pull down menu under Your Trip Advisor.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to TJ

I think if you have a 3-day visit you should visit TJ, Rosarito and Enseneda, you must go to Puerto Nuevo a little little town known for their lobster yumi is sooo good is usually $20.00 for 2 3 halves with all you can eat rice, beans and this delicious humungus flour tortilla totally recommend. Further south is the port of Enseneda nice town with lots of sea food great fish taco for around $1.00 a piece also in Ensenada visit la Bufadora and another little hole town is Popotla this is before Puerto Nuevo also serves great seafood. so you can start your vacation in Tj then Rosarito, Popotla, Puerto Nuevo and Ensenada

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip to TJ

Thanks 'Pstreet1' & 'gloria 1959'.

If 3-days trip is practical, I'll follow your advice as TJ- Rosarito- Enseneda- TJ.

BTW, 'Pstreet1', I got your PM.

5. Re: Road Trip to TJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:16