We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to be in San Diego for a few days and we are thinking of taking a trip across the border to Tijuana for a day. Would you recommend this trip? Is it possible to drive or should we walk across and take a taxi?

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Tijuana
Tijuana
Baja California Norte, Mexico
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

There's a thread about 5 or 6 down addressing safety in Tijuana now:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150776-i761-k5948…

You can drive, but unless you plan to drive on down the coast to Rosarito or Ensenada (and perhaps visit wine country), there really wouldn't be much point in driving. It would simply mean having to find a place to park the car, and you'd get to drive in Tijuana traffic, neither of which really makes for a quality day.

Because I love Rosarito/Ensenada, I'd recommend driving across and going down the coast. The drive is beautiful and you really will, I think, have a better experience than if you confine yourselves to Tijuana. The drive to Rosarito takes about 20 minutes. From Rosarito, Ensenada is another 45 minutes. The beginning of the wine area is about 15 minutes from the Ensenada toll booth.

Mentioned in this post
Tijuana
Tijuana
Rosarito
Rosarito
Ensenada
Ensenada
Ensenada Municipality, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

YOu can spend a nice day in TJ there is plenty to do. the easiest way probably to take MEXICOACH a bus that takes you and brings you back, don't know the prices but it's not expensive probably can find out online. I also agree with Pstreet1 Rosarito and Ensenada very nice beautiful drive from rosarito to ensenada although it is a toll road have to pay like $2.50 X 3 to go and the same to come back..............it gets expensive but is worth it and I will not go to Enseneda without stoping in PUERTO NUEVO small village where they are famous for their lobster............so delicious

Mentioned in this post
Rosarito
Rosarito
Ensenada
Ensenada
Ensenada Municipality, Mexico
Rosarito, Mexico
Level Contributor
24 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

Definitely don't drive if yours first time visitor. Crossing the border back to the US can be a nightmare experience especially when the main entrance gets closed off and your left totally "on your own" to try and find your way to the other crossing location. There are no signs and the local drivers have zero patience for tourist drivers who are lost. Walk across and use taxis. Their cheap, and you won't get lost. Use common sense and have a good time.

Tijuana, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

hey guys. i actually am an american born n raised in boston, moved out to SD some months ago then moved across tho border to Tijuana. Yes thats right I am living there. Its not nearly as bad as ppl say, they are just saying that because they dont actually know and that is all they hear from the media.. I mean dont get me wronf there is parts of TJ that you really shouldnt go but other than that you will be fine.

Regarding the commuting questions, driving is a terrible idea because on the way out you will be stuck in hours upon hours of traffic. Unless you have a motorcycle like me and you cant just cut to the front then driving would be a pain in the *ss. You can hop the trolley and it literally takes you right to the border at the last stop (san Ysidro). When you go to leave, either leave as early as possible, or as late as possible. then there wont be a long line crossing back.. Unless its raining then you are good, mexicans literally dont come out when its raining.. hope this helps, be safe and have fun !!

Mentioned in this post
Tijuana
Tijuana
Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

I operated out of San Diego for years and would drive to TJ at least once a week for shopping or lunch with business associates. i drive crazier than most Mexicans and I also had a card from the head of Interpol so never issues. But by your post I'd say park at a secure lot in San Ysidro, walk across and grab a cab. Safety... if you are referring to the cartel situation no issues. Pick pockets happen to the unwary. As they taught us in training on a sunny Caribbean isle... situational awareness is everything.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Burbank, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

we are three freand deside to go Tijuana just have a good lunh lots of beers and come back

we want to go Sunday early morning and come bak late evning ...me and my other freand having american passpors but 3rd freand have green card only annd expired his contry passpoert

question 1 is itsafe

question 2 we want drive what your recomendation

question 3 do we have to have visa

thank you all

Mentioned in this post
Tijuana
Tijuana
Burbank, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

please help

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

1) Stick to the main areas tourists visit and you should be fine.

3) A valid passport is required to re-enter the U.S. At the least your friend may face lengthy delays in re-entering with an expired passport and at worse they could be denied entry (since they are not a U.S. citizen).

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

Thanks what about, shooping are alowed to bring anythink from Tijuana ,leds say Tticila tradisional suviners ,

other thinks I want to say ,all other countrys ,or cidys where lots of turist ,people get cheeted markets ,shops or other places ,how i can fixure out when its people lying or cheeting,is it good to trive or walk border

Mentioned in this post
Tijuana
Tijuana
San Diego
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Tijuana - any safety concerns?

The person with the green card would be immigrating and that makes it more complicated and something that should be checked with the people who have helped him get the green card -- this is not a normal tourism question because one is dealing with immigration laws, it is a legal question and one needs to follow the advise of legal counsel, (those helping with the green card).

Likely he can not get a US passport, (not a US citizen), and may no longer be able to get a passport in his own country; the law says he can travel ... immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html ... and because of the length of time to immigrate it is not uncommon that people do not have passports when following the legal process.

Tourist locations are safe, although Rosarito is the main tourist destination there are lots of points of interest for tourist in Tijuana. Like any city there are good places and bad.

A visa for Mexico is only required for a long stay or if traveling outside of the "Frontera." All of Northern Baja is the Frontera if you want to go all the way to Guerrero Negro and south you need to stop and get a permit at the border, (it is about $20 for any period less than 6 months - most people get the 6 month permit because its the same price as a two week permit). Anybody in the US legally, citizens and people with a visa for the US are allowed to travel into Mexico ... 'Normally nobody will even take the time to inspect papers, but they want to look for items that you may be taking into Mexico that you might be selling.

A passport for all US citizens is very highly recommended; Although other forms of ID and a birth certificate are still legal, people have been sent to secondary inspection when returning because they did not have their passport, (where they are treated like criminal suspects). There are people I know who travel regularly to Mexico with a Green card and documents they were told to us without problems, but because he/she is immigrating he/she needs to be careful that he does not violate anything regarding this immigration.

Mentioned in this post
Rosarito
Rosarito
Tijuana
Tijuana
Mexico
Mexico
North America