We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

Howdy folks. Despite visiting PVR and DF for weeks at a time and Months visiting Argentina, Israel, Shanghai, Italy, this will be my first TJ visit. There is a part of me that says the police corruption / street level crime is exaggerated. I strive to blend in, and am pretty low key and street smart.

But there is a part of me that thinks I am nuts to spend New Years Eve in TJ. I am booked at a Hotel in the Zona del Rio. I am a gay man and would prefer a chill LOCALS gay bar, but I am realistic and can have fun in any straight or gay bar around the world. Suggestions?

Also, I've done wine regions in Cali, Italy, Israel and Argentina and would REALLY like to visit Valle de Guadalupe but truly do not want to rent a car or drive in the border region. Are there local tours or is public transportation an option. I am completely experienced sharing Mexican busses with livestock et. al and all the crazy possibilities.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

The concerns about safety are largely the result of the American media's playing of each and every incident of violence they can find in Mexico as though the whole country were erupting in murder and mayhem. To hear their stories, you'd think we all wear protective body armor to the grocery store. We don't. AND WE AREN'T AFRAID TO LEAD OUR DAILY LIVES! We all drive back and forth through Tijuana to San Diego and back (in my case to Rosarito, 20 miles south of Tijuana) multiple times a week. There is absolutely no reason to fear renting a car and driving in the Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada areas. Think of what would happen to tourism in New Orleans or L. A. if the national news hammered each incidence of violence occurring in those cities as though the violent areas characterized the whole city--let alone the whole country. That's what the American news media has done to Mexico.

That said, if you are going to stay in Tijuana, there is no reason to rent one either. Cabs and buses will do just fine, and you will be safe.

If you want to explore the Guadalupe Valley, I think you'd enjoy having a car--perhaps you'd enjoy spending New Year's Eve in Ensenada more than in Tijuana? Again, it's safe in Rosarito and Ensenada and Tijuana. Of the three, Tijuana has more for you to look out for--it's a bigger city, and just like in the U.S., there's more to be concerned about.

The local wine expert is Steve Dryden. He does tours. I don't know if he does tours if you don't have a car, but I'm sure if you follow the links, you can find out.

baja.com/about/…

articles by Steve Dryden: http://costabajahotel.com/steve.php

Steve Dryden's web site: http://winefoodguide.com/global/

www.bajatimes.com/pastDetail.asp?sid=1477

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

Located his page: www.bajawineandtours.com

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

Opps--Steve has moved to Canada.....obviously, no tours.

Rosarito, Mexico
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

No, the safety concerns have nothing to do with the US Media. There are serious problems here not to be ignored. Just open the Frontera or the Mexicano newspaper and there's no shortage of daily death and carnage in the *local* media in Baja. Having said that though, use common sense, and you'll have a great time (except for crossing the border)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

Thank you so much everyone for the great information. This will help a lot. My reluctance to rent a car is more from the ridiculous insurance and hassle of driving than fear of the roads. But I guess it is the only way that I will get to VdeG. I wish there public busses. But there ya go. Thanks again everyone.

6. Re: TJ for New Years! VdeGuadalupe w/o renting a car? Gay TJ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 06:16