We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tijuana with SENTRI

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Tijuana with SENTRI

I will be in San Diego for a few days in March and considering crossing into Tijuana on foot for a few hours during the daytime. I am an experienced solo female traveller and will be traveling mostly by foot just to poke around the area a bit. Should I be very concerned about safety? Just to be clear, I have done my share of slumming in various corners of the world, but not sure if Tijuana is particularly dangerous or off limits right now even in the tourist area.

I have a global entry card which can be used for SENTRI lanes. What kind of crossing and return time should I expect if I were to do the trip on a Thursday or Friday? Thank you for any advice.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Tijuana with SENTRI

You will find, I think, that you feel safe in Tijuana. Will you drive across the border? If so, the longest wait we have ever had to cross into the U.S. is 15 minutes. I've never walked across, but I see a long line to do so. I'm sure when you get to the cross-over point there is a separate line for Sentri, but I have no idea whether you are free to by-pass all those people in a many, many blocks long line to get to the Sentri point. Hopefully, someone who crosses by foot regularly will know.

Rosarito, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Tijuana with SENTRI

I'm a gringo ex pat livig in Rosarito. To answer your question, you are probably safer in Tijuana than you would be in Chicago. I go there at night to some world class restaurants but you should probably stick to day time hours.

By the way there are countless single American ladies living happily down here.

Vista, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Tijuana with SENTRI

As long as you do not go into very poor areas or try to buy drugs, Tijuana is much safer than the US news media would lead you to believe. That said, since you don't know your way around the city I would stick with staying just on Avenida Revolucion which is a safe tourist area, and preferably stick to daylight hours, unless you can get someone experienced who can show you around. This street is the most touristy and prices are higher, but you should be quite safe. I would recommend taking a cab just because the walk from the border to the tourist area can be a bit confusing if you've never done it. Negotiate a price before you get in the cab, which should be no more than $5. If a cab driver asks for more, walk away and ask the next driver. :)

As for your Global Entry, you are allowed to completely ignore the very long lines that you will see when crossing back north, and follow the signs labeled "SENTRI Members". I just crossed a few hours ago with my own Global Entry card, and it took me five minutes as opposed to the line for the general public which looked to be about two to three hours long.

I live in San Diego but I spend every other weekend in Tijuana so I am familiar with the city and the border crossing, and would be glad to answer any more specific questions you have.

4. Re: Day trip to Tijuana with SENTRI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:16