We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying property in Todos Santos

Bellingham, WA.
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Buying property in Todos Santos

My husband and I area going to Todos Santos this fall with the idea of purchasing a home and or business. because we lived in the San Juan Islands Washington for 25 years we are acutely

aware that there are good guys and bad guys in the real estate industry. I ALSO HAPPEN TO BE A GOOD GUY myself so I am a little parinoid. If anyone knows of an interesting property or a great realtor, I'd appreciate the lead. We plan

to stay in the village itself.

Help me out!

Jackiery

Mentioned in this post
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

If you are looking for something that could generate some income, my friend has her home for sale-with at least 3 finished casitas. I can send you the info if interested.

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Hi.

Talk to Richard Rutowski at Amerimex real estate. You can see their web site at www.mexonline.com/amerimex.htm

He is one of us, a really GOOD GUY. His sister Elena Moreno is the escrow agent and can answer all of your questions. I have bought a property through Amerimex and they really made it very easy. I don't know how much you want to spend but they showed me this great property in a wonderful established neighborhood with the main house and two rentals that have established clients, web site etc... The property was huge and you could definitely build more rentals if you wanted to. It was a little bit more than what we could spend and we really wanted to build our Dream Home.

Also, talk to Elena she can really give you a pulse on what is really need in town business wise.

Have fun in Todos Santos!!

Bellingham, WA.
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Hi KatD,

I'd love to hear more about uour friends place.

Jackiery

Bellingham, WA.
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Thanks Plainjane14,

It looks to me like each office kind of has there own "pocket listings. Are you speaking of Las Palmas? I've been e-mailing her but I keep seeing different prices quoted on various websites.

Obviously, I'm chomping on the bit!

Jackiery

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

No not las Palmas... She is very wacky to say the least. I had made a reservation with her and we ended up leaving the same day . I didn't like the vibe of the place. They are in the middle of town and are on a corner of two unpaved streets. Very dusty especially on weekends. No, the property I'm telling you about is only 1 minute walk from the beach and is gorgeous. It is an unofficial listing so ask Richard.

Yea, all the Real Estate comany's have their own listings. Some have the same general listings but I would check to see what everyone has. I had asked Richrad why they didn't do multiple listings. He explained to me that sometimes it was really difficult to deal with other real estate companies as they didn't have the same standards of profecionalism and problems had occured with some of the properties or clients. He was very unwilling to speak negatively of any other agents or real estate office. I thought this was a plus and told me that I should shop arround a look for property througfh everyone. I did and found that I felt the "SAFEST" with Amerimex. I really got the feeling that they were looking out for me and they have. The other agents in the other offices reminded me a little bit of "used car salesmen" but that is just me.

Try them out shop arround and then doubble check everything everyone tells you. Do your homework!! Don't go into anything blind. www.mexonline.com has great information on buying property in Mexico.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Jackiery,

You can look up the property at www.mexicoonline.com/rancholasirena.htm. She had the house built about 14 or so years ago, and it's definitely an interesting home. There are 3 finished casitas for rentals, and she was building a couple more, but her health got in the way of the process, and she has not been able to return. It's expensive, but could be perfect for the right people.

Bellingham, WA.
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Hi Plainjane and KatD,

Just wanted to thank you both for your input. I've taken both of your advice and made the neccessary contacts. I am curious what it is about Todos Santos that appeals so much to the two of you.

For me its the idea of community. I understand that alot of expatriots live in one area more than another is that true?

Plainjane where are you going to build?

How long have you guys been going? This forum is great opportunity for networking!

Jackiery

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Jackiery,

We first went to Todos about 9 years ago. Just wanted to explore the surrounding area a bit, and get out of Cabo for a day. We "stumbled" on Cafe Santa Fe, and thought we had made the find or the century-only to get back to Cabo and find out it is one of the best known restaurants in Baja! We loved the little shops, and the size of the town was so appealing. That small village atmosphere. We also loved that it was so pretty! The amount of vegetation was so pleasing. After driving by Rancho la Sirena many times, we reconnected with the gal that owns it when she came home to Lodi to visit her family. We graduated together, and while chatting about our love of the area we discovered we had been wondering about her home for several years. On our next trip we stopped in for a visit and got the "tour", before we all headed to Santa Fe for another wonderful meal (it's her favorite also!) While I would love to purchase something there, I am thinking I may have to head towards Los Barriles to be able to afford something. (I am going to take a look at Loreto also) So far, I haven't found any place in Baja I wouldn't like to have a piece of, with the exception of La Paz, and that is just because it is too much of a regular city!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Santa Fe
Cafe Santa Fe
310 Reviews
Todos Santos, Mexico
Los Barriles
Los Barriles
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Loreto
Loreto
La Paz
La Paz
New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Definitely the comunity is great! Many expats and the local comunity really takes you under their wing. Very friendly people. I have a two year old son and he has the same nany every time we go. Teresa, she is very good with him and actually gets on my case about his diet and habits. Her children have also become very attached to us and we also love them. We have become part oftheir extended family in a very short time. I would have a very hard time finding something like that in the states. They are so open and so willing to accept and help in any way they can.

I am going to start building probably next year. We have spoken to several builders and I am a little aprehensive about long distance building but there are several contractors and Richard recomended someone to keep tract of the money and the advances in the building. Like an auditor and administrator of the contractor. I have been quoted $55 to $100 dls per quare feet depending on who you have build the house. It will also depend on the finishing touches such as flooring, windows, bathroom fixtures, lighting, etcc as these are the most expensive.

I want to build palapa style with vaulted ceilings and cement floors with color. Very much like a house that Richard showed me that his Brother in law just designed and built. you can see it at www.casarayodelsol.com It has some very unique design ideas and takes a lot of natural elements inside.

Have fun looking!!!

Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying property in Todos Santos

Hola Guys,

I'm e mailing from Spain where I have a Hotelito con encanto. I am looking to do something in Baja and am attracted by Todos Santos. I see you guys are also looking. How have you found the agents? I have bought property in the UK,France and Spain but every country has its twists when it comes to real estate. Also, do you reckon Todos is a 12 month destination. Have also been looking at Loreto,Mulege and La Paz. Any views you have would be gratefully received.

Saludos,

James

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
The Hotelito
The Hotelito
354 Reviews
Todos Santos, Mexico
La Paz
La Paz