We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe?

Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe?

Has anyone been to Nogales recently? My wife and I were thinking of making a day trip there some time in the next few weeks. We would walk across the border and spend the day shopping and have lunch. We would be gone by late afternoon. I haven't seen any recent reports on violence in the tourist area.

Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,694 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe?

this was just recently asked and the short answer is no. There is a travel advisory and the shopping isn't really all that great. The drug cartels are murdering people in broad daylight and while you may not be the target there have been gun battles in very public places. There is not much of a bargain so save your money.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe?

I would have to agree with David from Seattle. Especially as regards the shopping in Nogales. Nogales is not like Tijuana, in many good ways, but esp. for its entertainment.

I live another 2-3 hours sourth of Nogales in the state capital of Hermosillo, Sonora. When I go back to the USA, which is 3-4 times per year, I cross at Nogales but not at the downtown crossing, which is where you are probably talking about. I use the truck crossing at Mariposa, mainly because it is less congested and because I can avoid driving all the way through Nogales that way. I always feel quite uneasy traversing Nogales, and now with the increase in violent behavior there, I think the place needs to be avoided as much as possible.

3. Re: Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 06:34
Get answers to your questions about Nogales