We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for staff at Vacation Rental?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
279 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for staff at Vacation Rental?

We're rental a vacation home for a small group later this year. The property owner suggests a tip of $10/day/person. We have 8 adults and are staying for a week. Does $560 in "tips" sound out of line or am I being cheap?

I understand this is divided among the staff, but from what I see of the house there is minimal garden. On-site staff-wise, we've been told there is one go-to gal who will prepare 1 meal a day and also take care of general cleaning/upkeep. She may have someone to assist with a group our size. There is no butler/house man mentioned. I'm sure someone does take care of the pool on a regular (but not full time) basis.

Also, our main house gal will not be available at least 2 days of our stay (Sunday off and recognized holiday).

I don't want to short change the staff, but if I am paying her salary outside of the rental fee, I think it should not be disguised as a tip, which I believe is an extra outside of one's salary. I appreciate your input, particularly from the destination experts.

1. Re: Tips for staff at Vacation Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:15