We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Dollars in Mexico

Byron Bay, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Australian Dollars in Mexico

I will be travelling with some Australian Dollars and would like to know if I can change them at Banks In Mexico.Rather than buying $US then changing again to Peso.

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Use your ATM card

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Your Oz bucks will be useless anywhere in North America and do not convert them to USD except for USA use. Yes you will be able to exchange them somewhere in larger centres but it will take time. The advice to use an ATM for local currency is sound for destinations all over the world. Work out with your home bank the best fee schedule for international transactions and draw local cash as you need it. You will be able to use credit cards too, but not as commonly as in Oz.. If ATM use scares you and it should not, set up a separate travel account for the ATM and transfer in as required.

Byron Bay, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Thank for your help.I am actually hoping to hear a reply from Australians who might understand the cash situation.Contrary to popular belief Aussie Dollars are easily exchanged in North America at banks ,and I use ATM cards when travelling.My question is simply, can anyone who has exchanged Australian Dollars in Mexico tell me of their experience with Mexican Banks.

Buderim
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Hi. I'm in Mazatlan, Mexico now and you cannot exchange AUD in any of the banks here.

Does anyone know where you can exchange AUD cash in Mexico?

lugnutking5, where did you exchange your AUD?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Try an airport - I am sure in Mexico City airport they will exchange them.

Buderim
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Yes, I've read that there are 2 casa de cambios at Mexico City airport that specialize in odd currencies. Also, the banks and exchange booths in Mexico City and Guadalajara have the best possibility of exchange of foreign currencies and good rates. Cancun, being a popular tourist destination have good rates for USD but not sure about AUD.

Q. Has anyone changed AUD in Mexico recently?

Byron Bay, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Hi,I chickened out and bought American dollars in Australia and took them with me to Mexico.By the way Mazatlan was the only place I saw the Federali Police in action,bailing up a car with 5 men inside,Over by the docks they just ran out into the traffic with automatic guns ready to shoot.No one tried to argue with the firepower those guys had.That was the only incident we saw in 3 weeks travelling around.That incident was at the end of day we had rented a car and driven up into the hills to Concordia and Copala. Worth the trip,apparently these villages were on the tourist trail when the cruise ships came in to Mazatlan.Then it became too dangerous for the tourists and the ships stopped coming and the industry died.But Mazatlan is much safer now according to the locals cause the Gang Boss wanted the tourists to come back and he moved operations out of the area.Anyway we walked around at night time all over the place and never had a problem.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

So why didn't you buy pesos in Australia and save paying a second loss with the buy/sell rate exchanging currency twice?

Byron Bay, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

Actually we did buy Pesos in Australia but not enough for the 3 weeks.The dollars were our back up.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian Dollars in Mexico

A couple of years ago in Playa del Carmen I actually exchanged some AUD cash I had with me at the money exchange windows because I got a better deal than with the USD cash I had with me (even allowing of course for the AUD-USD exchange rate), and better than the bank! Sometimes you just gotta ask, and work it out.