We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

I'm a guy in my early 40's traveling solo and looking to spend 7-10 nights in late May for a much needed vacation. I'm using miles to fly out of San Francisco and can fly direct to any of the major airports on Mexico's Pacific coast. I'm mostly looking for some relaxing beach time, good food, cold beers, as well as some opportunities to socialize with other travelers or ex-pats.

I'm going to be on somewhat of a budget and am looking for somewhere with inexpensive options for hotels (under $40/night if possible). Since I only plan sleeping in my hotel the only requirements are that it's clean, secure, quiet, and easy access to the beach, restaurants and the like.

I've been to Puerto Vallarta / Sayulita once before and thought it was OK - a bit too touristy for my taste but I'd consider going back there again unless I get any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any info and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

Under $40 a night is tough.

Check out Huatulco and the hotel Mision de los Arcos which is in town in La Crucesita. Great beaches in that area. You also might enjoy Puerto Escondido. Look on www.vrbo.com for condos, especially in low season you can often get a good condo cheap. But getting a flight there might be a problem.

PVR on the cheap- check out Rincon de Guayabitos and La Penita maybe, or Bucerias or La Cruz de Huanacaxtle.

Manzanillo area on the cheap- a condo or hotel there, or up in Barra de Navidad/Melaque, or La Manzanilla.

In Zihuatanejo (our #1) you can get some cheap places to stay on Playa Madera. Check out these:

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/bungalows.html

Zihua can be done dirt cheap.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,520 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

I would also look at Sayulita as well! :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

yeah, even though he has been there before, late May should not be as crowded/touristy in Sayulita.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,520 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

Oh duh - didn't see that - thanks Rissask! :)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

Oh, how many beach places are direct non stops from SF? If a connecting flight works how about Zipolite? Cheap and fun. Worth a look on youtube or Tomzap.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

Actually, I misspoke. The only places I can fly direct would be to PVR but I can also get a connecting flights to Manzanillo, Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Huatulco.

To cut down on travel time, I'm leaning on flying direct to Puerto Vallarta and then heading up to Sayulita or Rincon de Guayabitos unless someone can convince me otherwise :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

Sayulita and Rincon are night and day different places....just to let you know! Sayulita = modern, funky, cool California-Mexico hippie fusion with a surfer vibe....and Guayabitos is very much stuck in the 70s sort of place. Neat in it's own way, but very different.

If you liked Sayulita, check out Barra de Navidad-abuot 40 minutes north of the Manzanillo airport. Similar.

(haha no biggie, Coalminer! :) )

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

You can get some deals in Mazatlan if you're interested also. Acapulco has everything. Both places have some good cheap food and cold beer.

9. Re: Where to go on Pacific coast for a single guy on a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 06:16