We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
39 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

Your advice very welcome! We're looking for the best Pacific Coast locale for ocean swimming, snorkeling, beach relaxing (with good food), and maybe a little culture/local life. Just me and the spouse looking for a getaway for 4-6 days, no kids, no partying. We like all-inclusives too.

Where would you recommend?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

For a quiet place with the best beaches go for Huatulco. For more activity and yet a more traditional Mexican flavor try PV.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

The Pacific Coast is not known for snorkeling......

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,932 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

Agree with post #1 to Huatulco for beach if you are going A.I. I like PV for the vibe and non all-inclusive life, but have spent time there without going to the beach. There are better beaches elsewhere.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

Best swimmable beaches and water clarity and snorkeling on the Pacific side- I would have to say Huatulco. But can you get there without a lot of hassle from Oregon? It can be pricey and a hassle to get there.

PV has the least nice beaches, right in the bay at least. But how about here:

http://www.playa-escondida.com/

or how about Zihua/Ixtapa- there is here:

viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/…all-inclusive

or here, I loved staying at this hotel, great bay views and romantic:

http://www.hotelauradelmar.com/en/index.html

It's hard to say without knowing your budget. And what time of year are you wanting to go, that makes a difference, too.

In general you might be disappointed with the lack of white sand and Windex-blue water on the Pacific coast- but in my opinion the mountains, more jungly feel, and sunsets more than make up for that. The east coast is flat and boring but yes, there are those great beaches...it's a trade off. Better weather on the Pacific side, for sure, in winter.

It's my opinion that the quality of snorkeling on the Caribbean side of Mexico is greatly exaggerated (hordes of tourists have badly damaged the reefs in many of the popular spots) and the quality is under-respected on the Pacific side. We have seen a larger variety of fish/sea critters on the Pacific side- you just have to know the best spots. We have had great snorkeling in the Manzanillo and Huatulco areas, and not bad at all in Zihua.

5. Re: Help us pick city/region - we usually go to Cancun/Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16