We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in Choosing a Destination

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Help in Choosing a Destination

We have been to Caribbean side couple of times and loved it, our friends would like to go to the Pacific side next year. We would like to join them but not sure there is enough off resort to keep my husband and I happy.. We like to hike, see and feel the culture of the area we are visiting. Love to snorkel too but don't believe there is much on the pacific side.

Could anyone advise of best area to stay in? Happy to use public transport or hire a jeep.

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

Are you looking for smaller towns? Or more like a city? We loved the little town of Sayulita! :)

Where else have you stayed in Mexico to give us a better idea of what worked for you before.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

'The Pacific side' has a few resort areas.

There is (from north to south) Los Cabos at the southern tip of Baja Sur, Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco (Nuevo Vallarta is north in Nayarit state)-PV is mainly where I believe the UK flies to now regularly, package tours, I think?), Manzanillo in Colima, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo in Guerrero and then the southern tip of the country in Oaxaca state has Huatulco/Puerto Escondido.

So what are your options from where you live? PV is very popular and Nuevo has some nice AI resorts and a better beach than PV in the city. Not really any good snorkeling there though. Huatulco has the nicest beaches and best snorkeling of all of them, but can be hard to get to and it's VERY hot.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,045 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

I think Thompson is flying into Mazatlan also which is great place to visit.. , plus Pt.Vallarta and all the area (including Sayulita) are great also.

Different from the East coast.. but great to visit and explore.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

The only place with direct flights from UK is Puerto Vallarta (on Thomsons) - so you really don't have a lot of choice unless you want to spend twice as much money going independently.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

thanks all for your input, so if Puerto Vallarta is the only option, could anyone advise what there is to do there? We stayed in Akumal before which suited me as I could snorkel for hours from the beach, I do not like to sunbath all day, I get bored! We have just come back from touring Western Crete, walked gorges, mountains, had a jeep for the 2 weeks, staying in 4 different places, we had beach stops too. So I am really trying to see if there is enough to keep my husband and I happy to get off resort at least every other day. I am searching on the net but struggling to find any hikes.

Our friends would like to go in July, how rainy is it in July on the Pacific side? Last visit on the east we went in July and only had a couple of brief storms.

Thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

July is hot and humid, it's the rainy season, but you likely will only get a few brief showers or storms.

Puerto Vallarta is a large and busy city, there are plenty of tours and down by Mismaloya some hiking. It depends what you want, an AI in the city or up at Nuevo Vallarta where the beach is lovely, or a condo, or a boutique hotel.....in the city or NV, or perhaps north in a smaller place like Sayulita or San Pancho or Rincon de Guayabitos.....you just will have to do a little more research on the area. :)

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

What are the tours for?

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,045 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

this is link to just one Tour outfit in the area... Lots of people recommend.Scotts: http://puertovallartatripadvisor.com/

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

We loved Vallarta Adventures.

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours

We did the Sierra Madre tour years ago (now called Offroad Adventure) and loved it.

We also did this ziplining tour:

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

10. Re: Help in Choosing a Destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:16