We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boca Chica--end of an era?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Boca Chica--end of an era?

My friend and I just got back from three days in Acapulco at the Boca Chica Hotel, and I'm sad to report that they have closed their doors beginning July 1. I know that the property has been for sale for quite some time now, and the owners have finally decided to quit operating the hotel. I forgot to ask if the restaurant would stay open. It's always highly recommended in guides books, but, unfortunately, it was never that busy during my visits. I really loved this hotel and its location on Playa Caletilla. My husband and I even stayed here on our honeymoon. My husband loved to snorkel in their private cove and around their dock. This place will truly be missed. So to all of you that have ever loved the Boca Chica, say a toast for her tonight!

Qué viva la Boca Chica!

Jesusita

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Boca Chica Hotel
Boca Chica Hotel
221 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Playa Suites Acapulco
Playa Suites Acapulco
354 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

Thats a shame hopefully somehow someone will step in at a later date to reopen this Hotel.

The Marina club @ Hotel Boca chica had some nice restaurant reviews hopefully it will remain open.....I am sure we will get some word on this.

Mentioned in this post
Boca Chica Hotel
Boca Chica Hotel
221 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

Truly a shame. My uncle, a business man from Ixtapa, stays there frequently and is friends with the owner who could not find a buyer; although he tried desperately. I once had lunch with the owner. He and his family are nice people as some of you know, I'm' sure.

I liked their open restaurant but the help was soooo slow, it was almost laughable. In a way that was kind of its charm. My uncle always made excuses for them. My favorite was they were giving him enough time to drink more rum and cokes.LOL

Drew

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

FYI,

It has new owners and they have closed for reasons to finalize with unions etc. and begin anew!!!

Yes it will be back I do believe, but just needed some attention and it should come back nicer, remodeled and better than ever..... but it will never have that same personal " local owned " touch and I suppose that slow service they were famous for.......... but the view and atmosphere were worth everybit of the wait!!

Acasun.............

;-(

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

Acasun

At least it is reopening thats the main thing unfortunately when ownership changes there are bound to be some changes in the hotel hopefully they will keep it as close as possible to the old design just newer...

Middletown, Oh
Level Contributor
631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

acasun

Would you happen to know what the schedule is for the reopening? I had planned to go to the Marina Club on my next visit. I hope they are open again for my visit in January and not much has changed.

Jim

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

A couple staying at the V.V. this past May where scheduled to meet some cruseship friends of theirs at the Boca Chica. They had lunch there and with in 2 hours 2 of them were violently ill, coming from both ends if you know what I mean. Before anyone gets defensive, I'm not 100% blaming the restaurant because it could have been what they ate the night before, but just thought I'd mention it. They did say the food was good until they got ill.

My ex gf once got food poisoning in Acapulco after eating at Olvidio. I don't blame them 100%, but she felt certain that was the culprit. I try to stick to restaurants that serve many guests on any given day/night, I.E. La Cabana, Cabrito, 100% Natural etc.

Mentioned in this post
Boca Chica Hotel
Boca Chica Hotel
221 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

Jim,

Not sure of any opening dates as yet but am sure for profit reasons they would try to get it open as soon as possible, but depends what they have planned for it?

Just hope they do not ruin a good thing!!

It was a very special place for many special people.............Many famous people came by boat to dine there privately. Many locals included!!

But time goes on...................º/º

I'll try to let us all know when I have news.

Acasun

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

Thanks, Jesusita, for calling this to our attention.

And thanks, AcaSun, for the update. Please keep us posted if you hear or learn of anything re a re-opening.

Count us in as another traveling couple who find it disappointing to find out that this ol' landmark on the Peninsula has closed (and hoping, of course, that the new owners will try to retain some of yesterday's character & charm).

Our lunch & afternoon-stay at the Boca Chica (this past January) was both relaxing and enjoyable ... to the extent that it was already on our "list" (again) for a dinner-visit next January.

I realize that, with the passing of the years, "change" is inevitable ... anywhere; but I think it's more difficult (or just a little bit more sad) when older long-established facilities (be they restaurants or hotels or clubs or attractions) change ownership or decide to shut down. Perhaps it's the "nostalgia" that people miss most.

Anyway, like Jim & Paula ... we'll hope to try out the "new" Boca Chica come January - as the setting itself - overlooking the channel & Playa Caletilla - will remain unchanged.

Once again, please keep us up-to-date - if you can, AcaSun. Gracias.

RonVal

Mentioned in this post
Boca Chica Hotel
Boca Chica Hotel
221 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Playa Suites Acapulco
Playa Suites Acapulco
354 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

I'm sure it will open up...it's too prime of property not to plus you can pull up by boat. Supposedly Luis Miguel used to dine there.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boca Chica--end of an era?

Need -

I have no doubt that the B.C. will re-open (at some point in time - for the reasons you state ... and more); yet some of the questions that remain to be answered pertain to things like ... whether or not it'll retain some of "what it once was"? - and "whether or not its restaurant will offer a similar menu & ambience". That's what would interest me.

Again - hopefully, it'll be a change for the better ;-)

Ron