We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

For those travelers who might be (now) planning a wintertime trip to Acapulco in MARCH (2008) ... please be WELL-ADVISED ... well enough in advance ... that Spring Break and Semana Santa (a/k/a "Holy Week" - one of the city's BUSIEST tourist week's of the year!) will overlap.

Semana Santa actually begins in mid-March (very early next year) ... as Easter Sunday (Domingo de Gloria) is a movable Christian feast-day.

March 16th marks the actual beginning of Holy Week 2008 ... and falls smack-dab in the middle of the Spring Break season ... which mean that Acapulco's main-bay area will be absolutely JAM-PACKED (worse than sardines!) - and hotel-rooms will almost-certainly be both premium-priced - and scarce!

In addition, it's typical (during Semana Santa) that taxis and restaurants respectively jack up their fares and menu-prices ... so you might also want to keep that in mind.

A word to the wise ... ;-]

Plan according to your needs - but don't say you weren't forewarned.

RonVal

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Thanks for the info Ron... I SURE will keep that in mind.

I was there durning New Years last year and it was nuts... If its anything like that.. No thank you. Dont want to experience that again...not being able to find a bottle of water on the entire costera..

I may try to book something for January.. who knows.. lol.

danbury, ct
Level Contributor
866 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Wow it will be crazy down there, even more so........well I know I won't be down there for Spring Break 2008 I'm bringing my older son to Ireland for his spring break we have family back there and lots of friends so we're just doing a mom and son trip.....he's going to be almost 22 by then and we won't get this opportunity to many more times to just hang out together........and tour around.......leaving hubby home to watch the younger boy......but I sure would rather go somewhere warm....not somewhere damp and rainy.......but seeing all our relatives will make up for that......

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Yeah Anja you may want an earlier trip thats sounds like its too hectic to enjoy yourself...And the water part would drive me nuts LOL I drink gallons during the day...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Although we, personally, haven't been there during either time-period (SB or SS), I think - based on what I know of these two "events", separately - that it's fair to say it'll be TOTALLY INSANE next year ... during that overlapping time-frame.

It's not necessarily unusual for Semana Santa to begin sometime toward the end of March (and, in fact, 2005 saw an early Semana Santa); but, this is the EARLIEST it's begun (right in the middle of the month!) since 1913 - and it won't happen again until the year 2160. Believe it - or not.

Actually, I feel very bad for the "locals" (especially for those who may not necessarily benefit - $$$ - from the throngs of tourists, boht national & foreign).

I'll say one thing ... it'll be verrrrrry "interesting" ;-]

Ron

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Yea Truck.. you know me.. I book 24 hours prior to departure...

and knowing me I forget about the holiday.. and end up there durning that time.

Ron.. Whatsss up with Foreign.. I am Foreign.. thanx... lol... ;-)

Hope you are at the pool relaxing today.. its hot outside.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

I can see that my comment might easily be misconstrued.

What I meant was ...

that, in general, I feel bad for all the local residents who have to contend with all those throngs of people who'll be flooding into the city that week ("national" tourists - from the D.F. & surrounding states, to celebrate SS .......... and "foreign" tourists - primarily the college kids from the U.S. & Canada, who'll be in town for SB).

The $$$ simply meant that I feel even worse for the local people who don't necessarily benefit from the tourism-trade (in terms of tips or taxi-fares) - for example, locals whose jobs might be collecting the trash, or cleaning the beaches, or even older people who are retired. [ I didn't mean to imply that foreigners were cheapskates. ]

Comprendez?

Ron

Mosela - "foreign" doesn't necessarily mean "someone from Europe". We, too, are "foreigners" when we're in Mexico. :-)

US
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

I think the spring breakers going that week are in for a bit of surprise as I guarantee the majority of them will have no prior information or warning of the holiday.

Should be an interesting week all around!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

I'd agree.

And I think, too, that the Spring Breakers might just have to move aside & make room for all those Semana Santa partiers ... or they might get pushed aside (LOL!). As I understand it, the droves of Mexicano visitors who arrive for that annual celebration really more-or-less take over the city.

What'll be even MORE interesting ... is to see what the nightclubs are like toward the end of that week!? Think there might be any "waiting lines"??? LOL!

Ron

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

Ron.. I was kiddinggg.. seriously... !

I think the sun is getting to me today.. lol

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attention "March/2008" Travelers: SpringBreak & SemanaSanta

I didn't realize Easter was so early next year. Spring break and Semana Santa at the same time . . . I just want to run screaming in the other direction. I have lived there through both and I definitely would not want to vacation in the middle of it. Too many people. Maybe I'll push the February trip to the end of March after Semana Santa. . . fares might be lower for me.