We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
13 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

Hi everyone!

I AM PLANNING A SURPRISE TRIP FOR MY BOYFRIENDS 30TH BIRTHDAY. There will be 6-8 of us going, HIS BEST FRIENDS INCLUDED, so a villa or vacation home is preferable.We recently traveled to Jamaica for our first trip out of the U.S. and loved the crystal clear waters and fun, exotic atmosphere I've narrowed it down to ACAPULCO OR CANCUN, but am not against suggestions for other places... Basically what I want out of the trip is...

1. A LOT OF FUN (BARS, CLUBS, SNORKELING, ETC....)

2. BEAUTIFUL BEACH (CLEAN, CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER)

3. AFFORDABLE

4. EXOTIC (IF POSSIBLE)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND I APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK!!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

The two destinations (Acapulco and Cancun) are apples and oranges; but I'll let others, here, offer comparisons & contrasts.

Three things I thought I'd mention, though:

1. In Acapulco, there's a wide selection of private villa-rentals (and even some three-bedroom condos on the beach) in all different price-ranges; but from the recent/extensive amount of reading & research I've been doing re Cancun, there doesn't seem to be as much to pick from (in terms of villas, not condos).

2. Surprisingly (to me), the airfares from ATL to both ACA and CUN run just about the same - as I was originally prepared to tell you that an Acapuylco flight would cost a lot more. So airfare appears to be a non-factor ... except that, if your plans are for early-April (rather than mid- to late-April), the fares are (currently) slightly higher.

3. Which brings me to #3 ... the Semana Santa (Holy Week) holiday.

You didn't mention specific dates, but, in 2009, Easter Sunday falls on April 12th. Be advised that this is a HUGE holiday period in Mexico; and, from about April 8th through the 13th/14th, Acapulco hotels will be at 100% capacity - and you'll be up against throngs of national tourists on the beach, in restaurants, et cetera. Prices, then, (for just about everything - dinners, taxi-rides, hotels, and so forth) will also be at a premium. Not sure if it's the same scenario in Cancun - but maybe someone else will be able to advise you on that.

On the other hand, the peak for Spring Break will have passed (I believe) - though some late-comers may still be in town (at either destination).

RonVal

FYI: Incidentally ... the water in Acapulco is nothing like Cancun. It's dark blue - not "crystal clear" like you'd find in the Gulf or in the Caribbean. Like I said earlier > apples & oranges.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

CC

I 2nd all Ron has said & will throw out that the Bars & Clubs are 1st rate in Acapulco...most on this forum obviously will side with ACA myself included for a nicer over all experience IMO. I have not Been to Cun in a very long time now though as I prefer Acapulco.

The Water/beaches are nicer in Cancun overall but the views in ACA whether from a hotel or higher up in a villa are entirely unmatched.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

Given the UNCONTROLLED EMOTION of the person - I sense Cancun WILL BE the BEST CHOICE for THIS group.

There is a lot of information in archived in prior discussions and behind the tabbed sections in the left-side column - in both the ACA and Cancun forums - and it's in these areas I think our excited guest should begin the research.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

LOL. No disrespect intended, BUT I think I WOULD AGREE. [Just couldn't help myself after reading the above.]

Atlanta, Georgia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

Thanks gomexico, I'm "excited" you hade the extra time to inform me of my emotional typing. I appreciate everyone's HELPFUL input, and at first I was going to stick with Acapulca, but the dark blue water through me off......

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

You won't like Acapulco's water. The beaches are not that nice compared with Cancun, Mayan Riviera and Cozumel. Those are your best options based upon what your asking.

For me I prefer Acapulco because of the views, clubs, and restaurants. I just have a better time in Acapulco, but it's a lot more run down and I would not call it exotic at all.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

True - I wouldn't consider Acapulco "exotic" either. "Tropical", yes - "exotic", no.

[Maybe a few exotic people, especially late at night - LOL.]

Kidding aside, I do think that Cancun (or somewhere in the Caribbean) might be what you're after. [Aruba might be worth considering; I think you folks would really enjoy the Banana Bus ride, if they still have it?] Good luck.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

I'll keep a lid on my emotions, too. When does it rain in either location? I would rather hide behind the Sierra Madres in Acapulco than take a hit from the Gulf of Mexico in a monsoon. Cancun is a shiny new manufactured destination. Acapulco is rich in other ways. I prefer the Pacific....

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

Our fav in Mexico is Puerto Vallarta - nice place, lots of interesting side trips and tours.

Aca and Cancun are both good - just good in different ways.

Cancun has coral beaches and warm azure water (like Jamaica.)

Aca has nice sand beaches and darker, cooler water.

Partying's about the same.

Both cities are safe places.

The costs are about the same.

Outside of Cancun, the vegetation is jungle.

In Aca, it's a temperate, broadleaf, mediterranean type landscape.

Take the local busses along the strand to get around for cheap and an adventure - kind of like NASCAR racing!

In either place, the beach vendors won't hassle you to death like they do in Jamaica. I would almost rather be shot than go to Jamaica again just for that very reason.

There's surfing in Aca, but not so much in Cancun.

I think the fishing is supposed to be better in Aca.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in mid April for Surprise trip!

nascar racing.......lol.......now that one has really made me laugh........good one thanks for the laugh of the day........how true.........zzaa