We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Perla again

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
La Perla again

Just checking for an update on the quality of the food at La Perla. Read remarks from March 08. Has it improved? I have group of 16 trying to decide on dinner or just viewing cliff divers. I also understand they can pay a fee to see the show from the viewing area. Is that in the restaurant or hotel? I also seem to remember being told you can just go to the bar in the restaurant and see the show while having cocktails?

V

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: La Perla again

dont do the dinner at the el mirador hotel they had brought in a new cheff but now he is gone........my best suggestion would be the following watch the show from the outside viewing platform less $$$$ and then treat yourself to a nice dinner someplace else.......lots to choose from..........let us know what your group would like to eat and we can suggest some asome places for a great meal for a good price........hope this has been of some help.........zzaa

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Perla again

By outside biewing platform do you mean the area where you walk down many stairs and view from accross the way or do you mean inside the hotel or restaurant where you pay a fee to view. I don't rememebe paying a fee for the outside viewing although my husband could have done so and I didn't realize. I also didn't really see anything from there, as it was crowded and I am short.

Thanks again and I will check with the group to see about dinner or not.

V

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Perla again

I agree with zzaa forget La Perla & go to the platform opposite the cliffs...Perhaps getting there a bit earlier would give you a nice spot so you do not get blocked out.

I am sure your husband paid last time & I believe its still a 3.50 charge. You of course get to meet the divers afterwards where you have an opportunity to tip them as well.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: La Perla again

There are several options available to your group re viewing the cliff-divers ... but only you (and your group) can decide which appeals to you most.

As of late, it's my understanding (based on what I've read in the recent past) that Hotel El Mirador offers two choices for those who wish to view the divers from inside their facility:

(a) have dinner & watch the divers, for about US$37 per person (which I, personally, wouldn't choose to do - based on all that's been said here at the forum), or

(b) pay about US$16 per person, which includes two drinks, for the privilege of viewing the divers from inside. [I have no idea as to how limited the drink choices may (or may not) be; but that's not really what you're paying for.]

An obvious option is to simply watch the divers from one of the outdoor viewing platforms ... for a mere 35 pesos (including a cold beverage: cerveza or soda) - as Truck mentioned.

But whether you choose to walk down all those stairs - to be upfront & close, at the very bottom - or simply purchase your tickets and walk to the immediate right of the booth, where there's a small platform with (IMO) a very nice view ... that's all up to you.

Another possibility (which many have experienced & enjoyed) is for your group to hire a private boat - which probably wouldn't be very expensive at all, divided by 16 or 17 - and watch the show from the waters just below the cliff. [Afterward, it's often said, a few of the divers actually swim out to the boats seeking a small tip from those aboard - which they well deserve.] Stop at the store & bring along your own cold beverages - and it would be a nice little party, I would think.

Take a poll of those going - and base your decision on the feedback you get from them.

Enjoy.

RonVal

>>> As Truck mentions ..

DO plan to be at La Quebrada half-an-hour before showtime ... to get decent spots for outdoor viewing - if that's what you decide to do. Very important, especially in high-season - and/or if a cruiseship (or two or three) is in port.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Perla again

Ron Val, right on, the boat is the best way to go for all of those people. Forget La Perla, not worth it either way, and the steps may be a bit much for some.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Perla again

If you're interested in seeing the divers, then see the divers close-up, particularly if you plan to go at night. It's silly to do otherwise, IMO. The stair and platform viewing will probably be considered mild exercise by all but the sickest in the group. La Perla has been a bad restaurant forever - skip it and eat elsewhere.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Perla again

I have to agree with Gomex.

8. Re: La Perla again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 16:22