We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Censorship

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
TA Censorship

Am I missing something or did TA rip the Acapulco Blockade off this forum. Shame on you TA, travelers have the right to know what's going on in the city they expect to visit, good or bad.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Censorship

Rolynn, you are absolutely right. It is gone. I have noticed they are censoring for no reasoon sometimes too. Who would have complained about the blockaid? If I was traveling to ACA this weekend, I would certainly want to know if I was up against protesters on the loose. I wonder how long this post will last.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Censorship

I, too, think that traveler's have the right to know about the blockade. What if you had scheduled a city tour and spent an entire day of your vacation in a traffic jam! What a disappointment. That won't leave a favorable impression of Acapulco.

If traveler's knew about it, they could plan accordingly and not waste a day. W/ today's ecomony, wasting a day of a 7-day trip in a taxi in a giant traffic jam would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Censorship

Yes! And I am furious about it! I already wrote to them asking what gives, but might not get a response for 48 hours, meaning AFTER we must make our decision as to whether we can come. We have to decide by tonight whether to cancel about 8,000$ worth of airline tickets. I'm a mess.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Censorship

Discussions are often removed here at the request of one or more of the local "Experts" from what I've been informed in the past by persons affiliated with TA.

There are one or two people participating on this forum who, I believe, consider such discussions damaging to the image of Acapulco and are willing to launder the discussions.

Troubling, also, is the obvious conflict of interest here on the forum by people who make their living, or make money, off of promoting tourism services in Acapulco using the forum to do that. Such behavior is strictly regulated on other forums I'm familiar with - but not here at TA.

TA is basically a tool of the tourism industry, anyway - the company and its affiliates are in the business of selling services and advertising - consider it a 'chamber of commerce' type operation. Excellent website it is, and a great resource for people looking for information - but the heavy-handedness and lack of respect for people who travel is unfortunate.

Well, it's TAs website, and we're just visitors - visitors that help to make all of this possible, and without compensation - but expect more of the same in the future. You would think TA would show some respect, though. Nobody forces us to stick around, though - we do so willingly.

Now, as for the 14-hour mega march that did severely impact local residents and tourists yesterday - yes, it is a tourism related subject - have a look at a couple of news articles including photos of the wall-to-wall mass walking down the Costera yesterday:

oem.com.mx/elsoldeacapulco/notas/n939875.htm

aca-novenet.com.mx/principal/211108/aca-prin…

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Censorship

Thank you so much Go. I actually opened those links immediately so that if this thread gets yanked, I've already got them up on my computer. Wish I spoke Spanish well enough to read them!

How is it there today? Any idea if we should be okay flying in tomorrow? My whole family, including two toddlers, are planning the trip, and we don't want to come into something potentially clogging up the whole city or being remotely dangerous.

We are depending also on a family in Acapulco to be able to make the trip here, because we're exchanging homes for the week, so this is all up in the air.

Ugggh.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Censorship

See, this is a "travel related" discussion.

I doubt anyone will be able to predict with certainty, or near certainty, what will happen tommorrow and the coming days. The big march is over, the "point" the teachers wanted to make was made. I suspect their "planton" - encampment - will go on for a while, but not be too disruptive.

Taxi drivers will know how to best get you to your lodging choice. Maybe it'll take you a little longer, if there's some blockage, but maybe not. It all depends upon where you're staying - and I don't recall that information (if you've told us).

I travel regularly throughout Guerrero (the state where Acapulco is situated) and elsewhere in the country and I frequently come upon demonstrations, marches, etc., that have delayed - not by long - my journey. I look upon such incidents as insightful into the culture of Acapulco and Mexico. I 'go with the flow' and don't get too excited about these things - though, it did take the first several to get me accustomed to them.

Instead of thinking about possible traffic disruptions - and that's what this is principally about - a big city style rush hour traffic jam - focus on the great weather, the beaches and good food. There will be more upside than downside, no matter what the situation is.

Have a wonderful trip!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Censorship

One more comment, about "danger." Personal safety and security, as a result of the teacher protests, shouldn't be a concern - because that's not what these demonstrations are about. I've seen no mention in published reports, nor in the emails I'm receiving from friends living in Acapulco, suggesting/reporting incidents of violence of any sort.

The teachers chose Acapulco as a demonstration point, instead of the capital city of Chilpancingo, I believe, because the Governor of the state of Guerrero is most closely identified with the city - he's a former mayor. The protests are as much about embarassing the Governor and applying pressure on him to help them in their demands, as about anything else.

Again, traffic delays are the most serious impact of these types of demonstration - not threats to personal safety.

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Censorship

Thanks Go. Problem is we're somewhat (read, entirely) dependent on another family and THEIR decision, as we are home exchanging for the week. And while I used to be much more laid back and willing to take some risks when I was sans kiddos, now, especially with little teeny ones, not so much. When we read reports about taxi drivers being pulled out of their cars and beaten up, or people throwing screws and nails onto crowds from above, it's a bit more off putting then just being worried about traffic.

We are also staying up in the Las Brisas area, so we will be relying on car transport to get around. We won't simply be plunked on the beach which would have given us some freedom from this worry.

Anyway, I'll wait to hear from our hosts to make any decisions, but I'm hopeful we'll be able to come.

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Censorship

Not completely sure but there is a view of the Costera, via Webcam - I say go on your vacation!

http://www.bay.tv/baycams/3174.php

I hope all is well...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Censorship

Where are you staying? In town, or out in the Diamonte area? If you're in the Diamonte area, you'll be affected zilch, except if you go into town, starting around the mid-part of the Costera.