We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Harris, MN
3 posts
Save Topic
1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Leaving frigid MN for Acapulco on 2/21 for a week. We like to hang at the beach, spend a day sailing/snorkeling, eat good food and have fun/drink at some local establishments :) Looking for advice on some places not to miss- and maybe some advice on sailboats/captains that will take 4-6 people sailing for a day trip. Thanks in advance!!

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

JK,

You came to the right place !!

Lots of ideas here from our posters am sure you'll get lots of help and ideas if you just go though some of the old posts!!

What kind of places do you like,upper , med or lower economic? and more info on your group, what they like to eat and do, $$ etc and we'll be glad to help out!

what part of the city will you be staying in?

Just let us know?

Acasun...

Harris, MN
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Thanks Acasun,

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza. I've been looking at reviews and I'm a little nervous as not many seem great. (We were trying to find something affordable for some that wanted to come along, but in the end, they are not.) We are 2 couples in our mid 40's, and our parents (60's) are joining us. We enjoy anything from an upscale dinner to a local beach bar. We like to sail for a day, and the guys usually like to find someone to take them fishing for a day. Otherwise, we just like to hang out on the beach/pool (pool bar:) relax, and check out the sights.

Any advice is welcomed.

JK

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

First time . . . pace yourself. Stay in the shade as much as you can, at least for the first couple of days. Get to Walmart and buy, at a minimum, water, room snacks, mix and your personal favourite beverages. Go back to Walmart after a day or two and get what you find you really need (sometimes it's pillows, or towels but once you've been and have a day or two under your belt, you'll say: I should have grabbed ____. Take an ant-acid from home. You may find the food and drink acidic until your system calms down. Bandages for blisters and some antiseptic topical cure is handy. Never try to "break in" new foot wear. Bring the comfy ones even if they don't shine. Take the buses up and down the Costera until you gate a feel for the main bay. You can rent a fishing boat at the docks by the Zocalo, but there are other day trips that will give you boating opportunities (Pie de la Cuesta for example). Lots of help on this forum.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Just a heads up to travelers that like to lay back and read a novel or two on vacation. I couldn't find a decent read in English until I ran into an old friend and 30 year Acapulco veteran at the Zocalo. I asked him where I could find a novel in English. He pointed to the stairs just to the right of the big church. There's a guy just off the second landing that sells used books and he has a good selection in many languages for pennies. He's there every day but I never went up those steps, so I never knew. Explore, explore. (Thanks, Freddie.)

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Snork, that's good to know. The only other place I have seen English novels is Walmart and the markup is almost 100%. I used to read at least 4 or 5 books during a 14 day stay. Now I'm lucky if I open one and may have to leave that behind this year. The suitcase is almost at its limit and the carryon is ready to bust open!

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Sanborns also sells englisch books.

I bought some there the last time I was there when I was running out of reading material.. But it was $$

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

I look in Sanborns every time, Mosela, and can't seem to find any novels in English. Maybe I missed it in the throngs streaming in there for the AC, the restauarant and the washrooms? Found some nice coffee table books, but I don't have a coffee table in Acapulco :)

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Sanborns in Oceanic 2000 has a section of English books, paperback and hardcover, a bit pricey but if you need something to read they have it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Back to the original poster's questions ...

1. It's been said, here, before (fairly recently) that there's not much in the way of 'sailing' on Acapulco Bay - or at the very least, you'd have to do some searching around to find what you're after. For some reason, I can't say that I ever recall seeing sailboats on the Bay; but I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable on the subject could better advise you.

In the meantime, here's a link to the most recent forum thread (on which someone else made a similar inquiry):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150787-i177-k2407…

2. As for snorkeling - if that's something you'd care to do - I suggest you check out the following websites:

your.swissdivers.com/english/index.html

www.acapulcoscuba.com/ingles/inicio.html

I've no personal experience with either, but it'll give you a starting-point.

Maybe others, here, can offer personal opinions or comments.

Alternately (if you'd care to save some $$$), you could just hop any westbound bus for about half-a-buck (from your hotel, opposite side of the street) - to the end of the Costera @ Playas Caleta & Caletilla, where it'll turn around. That's where you'd get off. Look for a ticket-booth selling 'water taxi' rides to Isla de La Roqueta (about $3/pp each way, I think) ... where it's often said that you can do some halfway-decent snorkeling on the beaches there.

3. For fishing charters, I'll suggest that the guys simply head for downtown (again, hop that same westbound bus if you like) - to the town square ... el zocalo. Once you're there, cross the Costera to the bay-side and walk along the public fishing dock, where you can speak with captains & crew members - and 'bargain back-&-forth' to arrange for your own day-of-fishing. Typically, fishing charters are 'by the boat' - not 'per person' (i.e. whether it's two or six guys, price should be the same - and they don't put groups charters together for you). Deaprture time (from the malecon) is usually around 6 in the morning; and they return sometime between 2 and 4 in the afternoon. If you get a price for about 200-250 pesos, I'd say that's a good deal. If you pay a visit to the fishing dock during those mid-afternoon hours, you can also 'see' (check out) the vessels available to you - and watch them haul in whatever catch they may have had. Often, they filet the fish right there, dockside.

Lastly ... be sure to specify/clarify up-front exactly what you want to do - in terms of 'the catch' (should you get lucky); otherwise, the captain almost always gets to keep it ... as I understand it. [There are some restaurants in the city which will actually cook up your catch for you ... if it's something worthwhile.]

Other salt-water anglers here could probably provide you with more information - and/or answer any other questions you might have - regarding fishing advice.

I hope some of this info is what you were looking for.

As for restaurants & beach-bars ... ha, ha - that's a packed question. I recommend that you start reading through some of the forum's many recent & past postings; and you'll come up with LOTS of possibilities. They're endless! Good luck.

RonVal

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Acapulco! Any advice from the 'regulars'?

Hey,they didn't say a thing about reading!!

They can do allot of that inside in Minnesota!!

"We like to hang at the beach, spend a day sailing/snorkeling, eat good food and have fun/drink at some local establishments :) Looking for advice on some places not to miss- and maybe some advice on sailboats/captains that will take 4-6 people sailing for a day trip"

so lets give them some othr advice to do in sunny Acapulco with lots of action going on at the beach...

There is a nice beach front place to drink, play and eat if you want near the Crowne....

(2 as matter of fact) Out the side door towards the downtown area on beach side street. Mojaritos and Coco Loco. Mojaritos has good fish and sea foods (rustic beach styles) and both have chairs/tables where you may sit with out paying as long as you consumme something with a good staff,

Umbrellas and awnings too. Great for those first few days and great for bargaining and people WATCHING!!! Also to meet new people.

Lots of great local places to eat too.

got to go Be back with more...

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco