We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent attck in Acapulco

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Recent attck in Acapulco

Have friends considering going in late August and are now in total panic b/c of news reports about 7 people killed recently. Can someone give me info to calm their nerves? I think they're worrying too soon!! Is ACA a safe place in general and this an isolated incident? Should they look at another destination?? Appreciate all replies.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

Karen

I read about it the story as well it was drug/cartel gangs on on police station. This sort of stuff happens from time to time whenever the goverment does there job & tries to hammer these guys sometimes there is going to be some payback.

I would say of all the stories I have read over the years 99.9 percent did not involve a tourist. I just recently returned with my family & had another wonderful time in the city & I personally stayed out a bit later then normal & had no issues regarding my safety at all. I would tell them to head on out & enjoy there trip try not to go looking for trouble & I doubt they will find any.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

oh my god! people act as if the city that they are from is murder free. Jeez

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

Which 7 people killed? Where? Surely you don't mean the 2007 attack against a legal office? There used to be drug-related violence in Acapulco 2 years back but that has largely subsided (although it continues in the surrounding areas and in other parts of Mexico).

So I have no idea what you mean but Acapulco is a big city of 1.5 million people and crime certainly exists there (especially in the poorer areas of course) but what you should be concerned about is possible crimes against you, the tourist. I have seen no evidence that crime against tourists is increasing to any great degree but use normal common sense - keep to the main tourist areas at night, don't try to buy drugs, don't wander around drunk and alone etc. Millions of people visit Acapulco each year without incident and you should not be unduly concerned.

Enjoy!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

Karen, my wife and I just returned from ACA, and felt completely safe. The tourist area is well policed and safe. I'd venture to say that there is violence no matter where you travel to. Your friends just need to be aware of their surroundings and don't travel to far up the side streets, unless they are taking a cab to any of the fabulous restaurants off the Costera.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

Karen, I too just returned from spending two weeks in Acapulco. I stayed out later that usual this trip but saw no evidence of the burning city that is often portrayed. There was, however, a gang related double murder in my little California town while I was away. Life happens. The usual advise holds true: Be aware of your surroundings, be a responsible tourist, and enjoy a well deserved vacation. I will venture to say, when its all said and done, you and your friends will fall in love with Acapulco!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

There has been an elevated level of violence - in Zihuatanejo (a 4-hour drive NW of Acapulco), and, sometimes, the "dateline" on news stories reporting such events occurring anywhere in the state of Guerrero reads "Acapulco."

Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

So true Gomex. Thanks for bringing that point up. Acapulco is the name everyone recognizes. Not as many papers will sell if the headline reports a killing in a lesser known town.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

Karen Just got back also never had any safety issues and I do stay out late, My biggest fear is those crazy bus drivers

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

I don't think there's a serious, overall safety problem for tourists. However, the city's chief of police this week identified the most popular tourist zones in the city as amongst the most dangerous - so, yes, there should be some caution used.

People familiar with a place such as Acapulco sometimes understand how to avoid dangers, but "newbies" don't - so you need to weigh the responses you'll get to questions such as yours.

Your trip isn't until late-August, so don't panic. And it's not your friends nerves you should be concerned about. Some people living in the suburbs of large cities in the USA and/or Canada would never venture to the city centers, either . . . because they think doing that is dangerous, too. For some, the "sky" is always "falling."

Rely on information you research and learn directly yourself, and not stories passed along by family or friends. Though, it's always good to know that others care about our safety.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
746 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent attck in Acapulco

We also just got back from ACA and did not have a problem at all and we did stroll the Costera the last two nights without any problems, once we got back home the warning was on the news about travel to Mexico but it was a warning most about the border towns but there was mention about ACA. We did a lot during the day but at night we stayed in the tourist areas and just used common sense out and about. Just be aware of your surroundings and you’ll be okay, your friends will have a great time.