We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around the Mayan

dalton
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Around the Mayan

We have been to Cabo, Mazatlan, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta. We took a break from Mexico one time and went to Grand Cayman Island. Needless to say, we are coming back to Mexico and this time to Acapulco. In Puerto Vallarta, the Mayan Palace was actually in Nuevo Vallarta. I was wondering from the posts if the Mayan Palace is far away from Acapulco. Also, are there any good restaurants close by for breakfast especially one with omelets for my children. How much would a cab ride for 5 cost us to the city and back? Upon check in, along with a $50, which rooms should we ask for? We are arriving on Sat. April 11, and plan to wait until Monday to actually explore Acapulco since the posts so that the city will be less crowded by then. I love Mexico so much! I just can't wait until we get there!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around the Mayan

Ginger, I'm sure the Mayan palace is nice, but IMO, you would be better off staying IN ACAPULCO. The Mayan Palace is away from the real Acapulco. If you want a place to stay where you do not need to leave, then IMO stay at the Mayan Palace. If you want to experience the real fun and flavor of Acapulco then I suggest you stay at one of the fine hotels on the Costera,( the main strip in Acapulco). I would suggest the Fiesta Americana Villa's or the Emporio. Both are situated in the tourist section, and are in the heart of Acapulco.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around the Mayan

The $50 won't do you any good, esp that weekend. The Mayan Palace rooms all face towards the pool, so no view is really better than the next. If you don't get a room on the higher-floors at check-in, maybe you could ask either Sunday or Monday for a change in room. I always call a couple of days before, and ask for reservations, and ask them to note you'd like a room on the higher floors. The buffet breakfast serves omelets. Also, there is a 100% Natural about a mile away.

Have a good time! The weather should be great! If you have any other MP questions, please feel free to PM and I'll try to help you out.

We're owners and have stayed there many, many times.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Around the Mayan

I'll assume that there's a particular reason for your wanting to stay at the MP - and simply try to answer two of the other questions you've asked.

> "I was wondering ... if the Mayan Palace is far away from Acapulco."

A: The description 'far away' is subjective; but yes - it's located a bit of a distance outside of the main-bay area: about 7-7½ miles to the beginning of the city's main boulevard (La Costera) and another couple miles to the mid-bay area @ Playa Condesa. It's approximately a 25-35 minute ride (+/-), depending on traffic, road conditions (i.e. construction), and where you're headed.

> "How much would a cab ride for 5 cost us to the city and back?"

A: I'll assume that you might be able to make do with a large sedan, in which case the cost will be about MXN$350-$400 for each roundtrip ride into the city - again, all depending on where you're going. [FYI: La Costera stretches along the curve of the bay for about six miles - from the in-town WalMart all the way out to Playas Caleta y Caletilla.]

If your children are older - and you feel you'll require more space - you'll need to consider a driver with a van or an SUV (in which case, the cost may be slightly higher than what I quoted above). I'll suggest that you consider finding a driver with whom you feel comfortable ... and try to stick with him for the duration of your stay, as he may cut you a break on the rates (assuming you use his services often enough).

Whatever you decide, DO allow for transportation expenses in your travel budget ... should you ultimately end up staying at the MP and have plans to spend a fair amount of time on the city proper.

Good Luck.

4. Re: Around the Mayan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 15:16