We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

Don't understand why a place like Acapulco, which has the perfect weather all time doesn't attrack major investments groups to update the hotel park lot in the city....It's nice place that could make $$$ with some investments in hotel renovations and modernisation.Why allways Cancun and Riviera Maya allways seems to attrack $$$.Acapulco's development potential is real and could bring alot in tourist "fidelity" to the city.Is it so hard to construct new hotels, make some improovements so Acapulco could be as equal as Cancun and Riviera Maya

in terms of Quality...Forget the coat of paint and invest in a "weather perfect destination" that no

other vacation place could compete...Where are the

genius marketing minds in Acapulco?

Robert, Montreal, Quebec,CANADA

East Coast
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

They are more concerned with attracting the National tourists from Mexico City.

The Diamante Zone is the only area with any kind of major development.

I am all for some projects to attract more Americans to Acapulco. Right now the only way to start attracting more Americans is to build some big name all inclusive resorts.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

Next visit to Acapulco, take the time to see some of the city beyond where your hotel is located. The level of investment in Acapulco is about at the top of the list for all of Mexico, during the recent past. Diamante is where the big bucks are being invested, but some other monies are being spent in the city. Your desire to have Acapulco compete on a like-footing with other, newer and government-owned resort areas (i.e., Cancun, Los Cabos, Ixtapa, etc.) is unrealistic. The Acapulco tourism industry does a very bad job promoting the city, I'll agree.

East Coast
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

I am here in Acapulco now and there is new construction all around/outside of the city but mostly all condos not hotels.

The promotion of Acapulco in the states is terrible.

The trend now seems to be these big name dont-leave-your-resort hotels and I agree, I dont see anyone building them anytime soon here in Acapulco.

Once the all inclusive trend wears off when people realize they are getting a watered down version of a destination, Acapulco will be a better option than most Mexican/Caribbean destinations.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

I agree with Gomex and Yolets, but I believe there is an historical reason why some of these gorgeous natural development sites have not reached their potential. Did not a past state governor or even a past president privatize much of the desirable ocean front and commercial properties for himself and his associates? And if I read Mike Oliver's book correctly (thanks, again Truck) development can be halted if someone in political power even perceives an offense to have been committed. And then there's Slim, who has money and political savy, and seems to be investing, lately in Caleta.

I have a development plan for my own commercial properties in Canada. I am assembling land on the quiet so as not to increase the value of lands I hope to acquire, and so as not to start a political battle before I have everything assembled. I believe that's the strategy Walmart used on the Costera. Not to minimize your observations, Robert, but I bet there is lots going on that we cannot see, and for every ten proposals being assembled without our knowledge, if one comes to fruition, it has taken huge efforts, financially and politically, to accomplish. I would love to see things happen quickly, too, but it ain't likely.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

Anytime Snork glad it came in handy...And ditto on the promotion of Acapulco its always going to be my top spot but it would be nice to attract more foreign travelers like back in the day but there are so many more publicized travel locations that people go with what they hear about.

6. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2009, 06:20
Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

I agree Frenchie...although a clean up is in order too. We noticed a new sign posted in the area we were staying. Littering now gets you 34 hours in jail! They should have placed this a long time ago!

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

34 hours in jail...now that's one all inclusive I'd NOT be interested in. Where did they come up with 34hrs vs 24 or 48?

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

Those 36 hours in jail or 300 peso fine have been around for a while, think it was another way for the police to make money as I haven't seen much clean up off the Costera. The back streets in the Costa Azul are just dumping grounds, old refrigerators, computers, couches, etc. etc.. Wish the Mayor would check out the garbage in the rest of Acapulco.

Investment in Aca has been concentrated in the Diamante area, but that new 1000 room hotel has been suspended as well as a few other projects in the area. Hopefully someday they will be finished but I'm not optomistic for anytime in the near future. Town looks better and there is much repair on the curbs and sidewalks which is really nice, I remember the old days when you had to watch out for the big holes.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Still no major renovations plans in Acapulco?

Rolynn

You have that right the sidwalks are 100% better then 20 years ago. You always had to pay attention to where you were walking. As far as the dumping off the costera I am not sure I understand not having cleanup crews to keep up with it all.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations