We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Issues

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Issues

This is more of a vent than anything else! My sister and I are headed to Acapulco on the 4th of April and she had to have her passport renewed. On January 25th this was done at the local post office by "passport professionals". They assured her she did not have to expedite the process because she would have it well before we left. Yesterday she recieved a notice that the picture was too dark and she would have to retake it before they sent her passport was processed. The post office took this picture why didn't they notice this!!! (The picture doesn't even look THAT dark and they didn't send this notice until 5 weeks later)

Our trip is in 3 weeks and its not looking so good for us...She went to the post office this morning had the picture redone and sent it out overnight. I will now be a nervous wreck until it arrives..haha.

:(

dalton
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Issues

My husband's passport was taking too long so I called and changed it to expediate handling. Also, I called and got a number where I could check online to see the progress. Maybe this will help...

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Issues

Thanks Ginger! We called passport services and they claimed that their online passport tracking system is not working correctly so we would have to call for updates. Unfortunatley, the wait is about 20 minutes but I won;t complain so long as we know its going to get here on time!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Issues

I,m not quite sure if you need a passport to enter Mexico. I,ve always just used my birth certificate and my Drivers license for photo id. Never had a problem. I suppose its a good idea to have your passport with you in case of any problems though.

Forest Lake, MN
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Issues

Robb you need a passport traveling from the US.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Issues

The passport requirement is for return to the USA, not for entry into Mexico. Mexico still accepts a legally-issued photo I.D. and a copy of a birth certificate, in lieu of a passport for U.S. Citizens entering the country. U.S. Citizens entering the United States by air are required to present a passport. This Summer, cruise ship passengers and persons entering through land borders - who are U.S. Citizens - will also be required to present a passport.

PA
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Issues

sorry to say we were in this situation---living in PA it might be a different setting---it was getting way to close to our trip to Mexico, passports were not back yet and i called our local state representative, explained our problem and we had them the next day. maybe you could try something on the order of this-----clearly the post office should have notified you sooner!!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Issues

Still no passport and no one is of any help when we call...we tried to make an appointment but keep getting disconnected by the automated phone system. Not good...

East Coast
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Issues

There isn't an airline in the world that would let you get on a flight to Mexico from the U.S. with only a birth cert and ID.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Issues

Call your NY senator's office NOW...that is why they are there...to help those that voted for them...don't tell them whether you did nor not! They can help you...are about your only course of action now. They have special numbers to the passport office and can work for you in getting it expedited to you ASAP. The passport probably has your new photo...but can't figure out where the original application for renewal is...CALL NOW!! Don't wait a minute longer...as it will take some time for them to connect and to find it and to expedite it...

Not sure who ever told you that the post office had passport professionals!!! NOT! Should have just done the paper work yourself...had the photo taken from a passport photo place...and forget the post office. In most states the post office is not even handling passport apps any more...wonder why??

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Issues

Take good care of your passport and LEARN about it. The State Department recommends beginning the renewal application process 9 months prior to the expiration date. Additionally, some countries (Eastern Bloc, Asian, I don't know which all, etc.) won't issue visas on passports with less than two years remaining on them. And then there's that crazy Israel Visa Stamp thing too.

Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations