We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

word of warning

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Topic
word of warning

for those of you who are in acapulco right now or will be visiting soon the condesa beach is having some very big waves right now with a powerful undertow...........please take caution.......my hubby says it has something to do with the moon......who knows but please take care for the time being if swimming at the condesa beach........zzaa

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: word of warning

Last month with the full/ new moon, they had the same big waves too, Yes, it must be the tides and the moon

We were out to dinner with friends tonight and they too mentioned the waves near Malibu were high and the helicopters were announcing to people by loudspeaker to stay off the beaches and beware of large waves coming up quite far.

Also the lifeguards were up and down the beaches warning the people but not always everyone pays attention - unfortunatley. Loosing only personal belongings to the water not their lives!!

You are right zzaa Beware of the waves, right now at least!

danbury, ct
Level Contributor
866 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: word of warning

Thank you zzaa and Acasun......very good advice..

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: word of warning

It had its moments a few weeks ago as well very unpredictable I have seen people chase after there shoes before from a good wave crashing the beach lol...When the waves are like this most people pay attention because its almost impossible not to get knocked down.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: word of warning

I watch the surf report daily for Acapulco because I love the big waves. Friday we had 6.5ft. swells and yesterday they were 7.5ft. which makes for very large waves. Unfortunately I saw a couple of elderly people have to be rescued as they foolishly attempted to go out as the waves calmed but but were quickly caught up in them as they returned. It's a scary sight to see people helplessly being battered by these waves and without someone to rescue them would very likely of drowned. (Today there will be 7.0ft. swells and back down to 3.0ft. by next Saturday).

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: word of warning

Well, I wish I was there to watch out!!!

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: word of warning

Too bad Frenchboy is not there in his pink shoulder strapped speedo to rush in and save everyone.....They can use the straps as a life preserve.

PSU
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: word of warning

good post...I was in ACA bay and the waves were breaking right on the beach that seemed to be upwards of 8feet....one girl got sucked out by the undertow and had to be saved by some lifeguards (which seemed to come out of nowhere)....Much bigger waves than ive ever seen on the atlantic coast.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: word of warning

bumped........but it does look like things have calmed down out there........but just on the safe side bumped it will post later.......zzaa

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: word of warning

I love watching those big waves... at a safe distance.

Here's a shot taken in January:

…webshots.com/photo/2973193510103215655AXcRDx

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: word of warning

If the waves are strong inside the bay, they'll be much more so in the open waters found at Barra Vieja, Bonfil and Pie de la Cuesta. Heads up all around.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations