We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

I just received an email from a trusted source telling me that all of Acapulco's nightclubs are shut down until next Tuesday.

With that said, I'm now leaning towards cancelling my vacation. I really can't see putting myself at higher risk and not being able to enjoy all of the things I really enjoy in Acapulco.

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

No kidding, I don't blame you. What really got me was when the sports event had no spectators....

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

Same has happened in Puerto Vallarta and schools are closed in many states such as mine (until May 6th) - all as a precaution since no suspected cases have been found in any of these places. And the EU is advising against all non-urgent travel to the U.S. and Mexico.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

Steve, Fun in the Sun fall under the category as urgent :-) My mom is giving me a royal ball breaking about even considering to go. I all it Jewish Mother guilt.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

Need yesterday's papaer's said there were no cases in Aca.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

City Hall asked all bars and clubs to shutdown, since there was a spike in weekend tourists arriving from Mexico City where the Influenza broke out. Most business, schools, churches, and other mass gathering places in Mexico City were shutdowm, only a few public schools in Acapulco where closed (heard from 4 friends who have kids)

Many people from Mexico City saw this as an opportunity to spend the weekend in Acapulco.

Yesterday was a very surreal experience when we went shopping for groceries, a lot of people with mouth covers.

We have 2 ships in port and our Health Official said, there are only 2 people in the hospital (quarantined) with symptoms.

I will not leave my office unless it is absolutely necesary and drive straight home afterwards.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

Acaport....Sounds like a good idea what your doing. Many people get the flu and don't go to the doctor. I'm sure in the rural areas around Acapulco, medical care is lacking and not diagnosed properly so though there's no reported cases Rolyn, I'm willing to bet there will be shortly.

One thing is for sure, if I do go, I won't be taking a bus to Taxco. My luck, I'll be sitting next to someone sneezing and coughing away.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

Dude, I was wondering if the cruise ships would even pull into port.

At this moment, I am glad I do not have plans to travel to ACA in May. It would be heart breaking to have to cancel another summer trip. I hope within a week or so this bug is under control and people can start traveling again.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

With all this Flu talk I was very surprised to see two cruise ships pull into the harbor this morning. Port Dude has the right mind set....if you have to work stay there and when done head straight home. We usually eat breakfast out at least three times a week but with this going on NO restaurants for us until this is over.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

I spoke to my doctor today and in his opinion I should stay home, but he was open to seeing me go as well. He did not want to advise me one way or another, just saying he feels I'm at lower risk staying home.

He's also writing me a prescription for Tamiflu in case I get hit with the bug. I'm sure they have it in Mexico, but why take a chance of them running out or getting something that may not be the same.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Acapulco's nightclubs and bars shut-down

Opinions, at this point, will vary widely ... as news-reports & -updates are made available to the public, one day to the next; but, from what I've been reading/learning, this 'unknown' strain of the swine flu is NOT something to be taken lightly (especially by those with Mexico travel plans in the immediate future).

Personally - if we were booked for another May trip to Acapulco (which we're not) - I'd more-than-likely be canceling/postponing/rescheduling the vacation. Each to his/her own, of course.

Closer to home (here in the northeastern U.S.), the fact that a group of students who've just returned from CUN is now confirmed to have contracted the virus - clearly speaks volumes (IMO).

One of my nieces (an R.N. herself) just returned from Playa del Carmen a week ago, with her husband & teen daughters, and is every bit 'concerned' about the reports - as she should be. And a sister of mine, along with her husband, arrived home this past weekend - from a Caribbean cruise with ports-of-call along Mexico's east coast. All intend to be watchful & vigilant for any symptoms.

I may be off-base on this - but given the gravity of the situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of 'serious travel advisory' issued by foreign governments in the days ahead. I believe 'containment' of the virus, in conjunction with swift medical-research progress, is key to preventing a true pandemic.

At the moment, my own prayers go out to the Mexican people (and those others who reside in Mexico) ... who are now forced to contend not only with their economic woes - but a potential health crisis as well.

Hopefully, we'll all be 'enjoying' our Acapulco travels once again - soon - without needless worry & concern.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco