We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity in ACA, et. al.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Electricity in ACA, et. al.

How much is electricity in Mexico? In ACA?

Here in SoCal, it's about 10-16 cents per KWH. In Idaho where we used to live (all those dams on the Snake and Columbia ya know) it was 5.2 cents.

The reason I'm asking is that in Mexico I seem so see A LOT of compact fluorescent lamps, way more so than in the USA.

This has been observed by me for years. Cruise ships too.

It's interesting to note that during a trip to:

Jamaica, I asked the guys where their power came from - they explained all about the two dams on the river.

Cozumel, from some lines on the seabed from the Mainland.

Georgetown, Cayman Islands, the dudes had no clue..... (I mean, Jesus, how can you not know where your power comes from?)

This is a mundane question on the ACA Board but it piques my interest.

Here's the ACA part of so I will fit in and not be flagged off:

Acapulco and Mexico Rock! Thanks you guys for being a bright spot in my days.

Also, if you are curious why the Americas are 110 and the rest of the world is 220 you can email me privately - I just found out - and let you know!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

At today's exchange rate my last electricity bill was based at 20.2 US cents per KWH. (That is here in Querétaro as I haven't got my Acapulco bills handy.) Electricity in particular (and utilities in general) tend to me much more expensive in Mexico than in the U.S.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

I just checked on my electric bill...and it runs about 19 cents per kWh with all the taxes that are added. There is a IVA tax of 15% and a DAP tax of 13% added...ouch!!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

If you are a taxpayer you can claim the 15% back and if you are a business you can claim the DAP back as well.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

Expensive!!!!

Also kind of depends on the area you live in, the hotel zone, residential or the area where they hook lines over the main lines at dusk??

We need those rubber covered lines to stop this !!!

And beleive me there are allot so we all pay for that extra!!!

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

I am told by numerous local people Theft of service is a huge problem. One can just look around in many areas and see the illegal hookups. Something that is really watched in the states

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

I've been replacing the bulbs in my hotel room with mini-florescents for two years now. Buy 'em at Walmart. I know that management or the maids remove them when I leave and probably take them home or use them personally. That's OK by me. Another tip (lol)? Turning off the AC or ceiling fans when you leave the room also helps the locals. The wiring scares me bigtime, but when in Rome....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

Hobohank had an interesting comment about pirating of utilities.

I'm a detail oriented man. So, check it out:

If you see pics from around the world, particularly Africa, on the streets, in the towns, on the buildings, etc., check out the wires in the background - commonly, you can see cable, phone, electrical wires 'jumped' where someone is robbing them.

Here in the U.S., Canada, Europe, that would be unthinkable, but I believe it's quite a common practice in many other countries.

Acapulco rocks! So does the rest of Mexico. We are really thinking about planning a longer trip this winter and going on that Copper Canyon trip. Is that a hoot? Has anyone gone?

NJ
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

Interesting subject and pretty important to know - I have heard the electric is unusually expensive in Acapulco

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

Reading this thread made me think about the area north past PDLC on the right hand side, where (what a hotel owner out there called a "squatters' village"), the electrical wire hodgepodge must be seen to be believed. Didn't think to snap a photo of it... maybe next time.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electricity in ACA, et. al.

If you look at your electric bill closely, at least in Acapulco, the cost is never stable as mine varies every two months. Between the people that steal electricity and the stealing that CFE does, you never really know what your bill is going to be.