We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Upcoming Trip

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
November Upcoming Trip

We just booked our next trip to Acapulco for November 7th thru the 21st, 2009.

We booked through Orbitz and were able to use the new 200entertain coupon code.

We did get a great rate which included staying at the Emporio.

Although in reviewing the Emporio website, I noticed that on top of everything else, we will be charged 18% of our total bill while staying there. This could include eating and drinking along with the Hotel price.

We contacted Orbitz by phone and asked if this is really going to happen and they assured us that our price given includes all taxes and fees.

We'll see what takes place. If we are charged, it'll probably make our 200entertain coupon, a wash.

We will be sure to report back after our trip to let everyone know what we were actually charged.

And yes Janie, Lyn and I are thinking about going on the paddle boats!!!

Also we have a layover in Houston. Does anyone have any ideas what we can do? On the way down it's only 2 hours, not a problem, but on the way home it's 5 hours (2 PM to 7 PM)...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Upcoming Trip

On the way back you will be able to enjoy customs for a while, so that will take up some time.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November Upcoming Trip

Joy...CONGRATS!!! I'm arriving just a few days before you. Houston airport is very large. Depending upon what terminal you arrive in, you can grab a bite at Bubbas (great catfish sandwich and good burgers) or at Papadeaux which has good seafood and I believe they have a seafood buffet during lunch that's pretty good. Or you can just sit around getting very excited that you will be on that quick ride to Acapulco soon..........I can't WAIT!!!

This trip I'm bringing a female friend that's new to the whole Aca thing. She likes to party and stay out late so I'm hoping it will be a good time. Take care

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November Upcoming Trip

The 18% is a tax (sales tax plus city tax) which if Orbitz say is included is probably included! When I'm in Houston for a few hours I go to nearby Deerbrook Mall where they have a huge bookshop since it's a novelty for me to see so many books in English. Probably not such an attraction if coming from Minnesota though :))

Lone Tree, Colorado
Level Contributor
584 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November Upcoming Trip

I have had that concern with orbitz and taxes before. I have now learned that what you pay Orbitz will be your total. If they try to charge you anything on top of that keep the toll free number for Orbitz with you and they will handle any dispute.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November Upcoming Trip

You probably won't be able to use the toll free US number from Mexico, make sure you have a direct number in case!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November Upcoming Trip

Very happy for both of you, great choice of hotel as you know I was there my last trip. Does that mean we are not celebrating our Bdays in ACA ???. Have a nice trip and don't forget to report back.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November Upcoming Trip

Wow that's great! I went for a week in Nov. of '07 and loved it... great time to be there, perfect weather (of course) and not crowded at all.

Can't help you much re: what to do in Houston though, ... What I usually do on long layovers in Houston is stuff myself with yummy doughnuts from the doughnut shop in Terminal B and read.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November Upcoming Trip

That's GREAT Joy. I've been looking to go from Nov. 2 thru the 10th. I even found a great airfare and hotel rate at the Fiesta Inn ($1225), for both me and my wife. The only problem is I don't know if I can afford to go twice within a four month period. I'm already booked for Feb. 2010 for two weeks.

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November Upcoming Trip

rchpjf -

I aggree, customs can take some time, but I don't think it'll be 5 hours. Lets hope!!

Speed -

Good idea to grab a bite, I was thinking the same thing, but it's nice to know where the good spots are. How long are you going to be in Aca?

Stevemex, Bicmac40 & Mexicocity -

I sure hope all that is included, thanks for the information. Yes, I will bring all the numbers I need....

Ctko1 -

We are planning a trip for our Birthdays too! No worries...

Lacallie -

We were thinking the same about November. Prices are great and crowds will be low. Plus a well needed vacation... Yummmy - donuts!!

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November Upcoming Trip

Joy, I will be there for 2 weeks. I'm glad your going because I heard it's been beyond dead. Maybe we can get together for lunch at La Cabana or that La Gamba place behind Plaza Bahia recently mentioned since your at the Emporio.

Knowing how dead it is, it will be easy to spot the fellow gringos at the open air bars during the week :-)

JC....Same situation..For me it's more like not knowing where my next dollar or when my next dollar will arrive, but if this helps at all...I find that after my trips, I'm more productive at work and sometimes I close a deal while away which would be stellar!! I have a million excuses to book my numerous trips to Acapulco. Self Justification!!