We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
5 posts
Save Topic
Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

I've seen a lot of conflicting reports what is the truth?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

…aol.com/2010/10/15/how-safe-is-mexico/

Canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

I just returned from a week in Acapulco and did not see anything concerning. We spent our days on various beaches, ate in local restaurants and took a sunset boat cruise. We took various taxis to each of our destinations. We met other tourists, although the city is quieter than usual partly because it is not high season yet and likely also due to the bad press it has received.

Local residents and tourists were all going about things just like normal.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 04:00
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

Great article. Thanks for the info.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

I intend on spending two months in Acapulco this coming winter and would not be doing so unless I was comfortable with my safety. But then I do not visit the night clubs any more and seldom am out past 10:00 pm.

I have been informed that many of my friends from Milwaukee who have not been in Acapulco for several years intend on returning this February, which is a great sign.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

I too say thanks to a good post and reply on Acapulco!

Acasun

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

Thanks for the article! Canadian press is all over Playa del Carmen right now. "Swamp Gas"(?) apparently caused an explosion at a resort and 5 Canadians died. Tragic, and certainly not the kind of press Mexico needs right now.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

I'm here now...I have not seen anything out of the ordinary. I wouldn't say I feel safe, but I wouldn't say I feel in danger. Acapulco remains a great vacation spot with really good people that want you to enjoy your time here.

That said, there is a lot going on here to the extent that even the Mexicans are afraid. Tourists are not targeted for murder. I had a good time here though the town was a ghost town aside from the holiday weekend. My opinion knowing what's going on is that I'll continue to travel here, but I'd probably hold off if I had children at least for the next year.

Oddly enough, it seems like I see less police instead of more, but you do see the military patrolling at times.

Last night friends and I drove in a high end car to LA Isla and left 1am. It was desolate, but we felt fine and my friend who owns the nice car has been kidnapped before in Mex city, but he feels okay in Acapulco. It really is the most gorgeous views, greatt people that I've encountered so it's depressing when I see tourism so supressed.

I think something bad happening would be like the lotto. It's really a personal choice....I'll come back during high season, but the low seasons have become so low that I will probably go elsewhere.

Canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

Dan,

Thanks for your article. I guess that it is the most objective and thorough report that I have seen.

Sad about the dealths in Playa del Carmen and so sad for the families but I guess that it says what I already believe, that when your number is up it can happen anywhere in any way.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

Thanks,

And one other thought to ponder:

The Drug cartels are not out to target their loyal customer base to the North. They would rather use a bullet on a rival drug gang member than someone applying SPF 30 on a beach.

As for the explosion in Playa. Didn't a major Propane explosion hit the Toronto area in 2008? It can happen anywhere, anytime, anyplace. even Paradise.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 16:18
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Acapulco safe to travel in right now?

I've saved your post, need, so that next time you go on a tangent you can be reminded of your impression when you're actually there, instead of getting yourself all worked up when you're not there but plan on going soon. :-)

Edited: 16 November 2010, 17:04
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco