We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another reason it is so slow here

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Another reason it is so slow here

I was talking to the head manager yesterday. Not only is the bad press hurting them to some extent, but the fact that there really is not very many options for getting here, now that Mexicana is down. It is very expensive and hard to get here now if you are coming from anywhere but Texas (Dallas with AA and Houston with United Conti). A lot of people do not want to deal with the Mexico City airport using AeroMexico, either.

If only they knew what they were missing. The weather is perfect as usual. It was hot and humid yesterday. But one you got in the pool or on the beach, it was perfect. Today is very windy. The waves out here are quite large. They are breaking pretty far offshore. They are large enough they are throwing lots of sea mist. They make for nice photos.

NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

Not sure why anyone would want to avoid Mexico City airport - that thing is awesome and super clean. Way, way nicer and cleaner than JFK, Laguardia or Newark and much more interesting than Houston.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

My week there, the weather was the best I could remember. What the locals call mucho frio at night was just perfect for us Americans. during the day, we didn't have much humidity. Seems to get dark early though. I should be used to that since I travel in November for the past few years, but this seemed really early........Honestly could say, there was not a cloud to be found in the sky most days.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

There are no flights here because no one promotes Acapulco. All the flights are going to Cancun, Vallarta and such places but everyone seems to have forgotten about Aca, strange.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

"There are no flights here because no one promotes Acapulco."

Well, I agree there isn't a decent flight from where I live to ACA and hasn't been for three years. This year there isn't a decent flight to MZT from where I live either, whereas there always was before.

This is the first year there have been good flights and good deals to PVR, though, from where I live, so that is where I will go this year.

We have been trying for ACA the last three years with no luck flightwise at the time we wanted to go. So promotion may not be the word I would use.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

Partly true, but if there was demand, the flights would be there. Our flight was 60% full which was more than I've seen in the past and this was a regular jet, not the commuter jet, however they did drop from 2 per day to one per day so hard to know the real deal.

When you look out at that bay from your hotel or from a restaurant it's hard to believe that Aca is no longer "the place to be". I have been to many countries and have yet to see a bay view that is as attractive as Aca's view and sky line. On the negative side the town itself is very run down. Most of us are used to it as normal, but a first time US visitor would see that and probably be turned off a bit. Sort of like South Beach before it's revitalization.

Brazil has Carnivale....I don't understand why the politicians and marketing folks have not been able to promote a big gathering in Acapulco. I know Acafest used to exist, but that never really drew the crowds......today the most common site in Acapulco is Manual Anorve's face plastered everywhere and I mean EVERYwhere!!!! I can only imagine the amount of money he poured into that campaign. Unreal!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

We'll be there tomorrow... when I booked back in July they had a 737 going, but now they've shrunk it down to an Embrer which appears to be sold out. Someone told me that there will be 2 cruise ships in town too.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,056 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

Have a good time while your down there...And Lacallie looks like 4 ships will be in port while you are there...

www.apiacapulcoport.com/vessel_program.php

Browerville...
Level Contributor
538 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

After Mexicana went under I searched and found a decent price on American from Chicago, which was comparable to Continental.

What I could not understand was Aeromexico wanting $200+ than the other two airlines for a flight in the same time span.. It appears that they do not want any out-of-country business.

As for promotion of Acapulco or Mexico it has not been apparent this year anywhere in the States.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

Acapulco has been heavily promoted inside Mexico - as have other areas of the country.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another reason it is so slow here

Sorry you had to cut it short, Need, but glad you enjoyed the time you managed. I wish I was joining LaCallie and CJ and hstntx. I guess nobody heard about the 8 separate shooting in Toronto over the week-end. Mexico, and certainly Acapulco, doesn't deserve the bad press it gets. I agree with Livein and Steve. Acapulco will be Mexico's little secret in a few years, but that's fine with me. While others head to PV or Cancun, I'll be reading about Truck, Pattie, Drew, Acasun and Janie and everyone else that's in on the Acapulco secret :) That $400 Drew saved would last me a month in Acapulco!

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations