We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing $$$ to pesos

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Changing $$$ to pesos

Okay, every year I Travel to ACA with all these $20 bills that have been checked over for any marks, tears, holes you name it. Last year my partner brought $100 bills and said it was easy to change at Banorte Bank next to teh Hotel AcaSol, if this is true it would be so much easier to caryy $100 bills than all that $20. Can anyone give me any idea is it is easy to change $100 bills there?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

Why not use an ATM and avoid having to exchange anything? You'll get a better rate and it will be quicker.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

I can do that too but my card was compromised not too long ago and still working it out and we leave next month, also got back from Vegas with a little something extra.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

The ATM will give you the best rate. Most places won't take $100 bills. Some won't even take $50.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

I do as Alegre suggested and one time my bank card was compromised by a dufus giving me a cheque that I deposited just before I left and that bounced! So I just used a credit card at the ATM and dealt with it on my return. Great exchange rates and ATMs are everywhere. Go get 'em SJC.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

Thanks for the tip, I'll save the $100 for the next trip to Vegas.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

Yes, stick with the $20's. They wouldn't take one of CR's $100 bills, and not only that, but the money exchange places are insisting on passports now even to exchange cash.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

Thanks LACALLIE, I'll take $20's and the ATM card, the last 9 years all I used was my driver's license at Banorte and that worked.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

I've become an ATM advocate while in Acapulco and also bring some cash for emergency like my card being denied, stolen, lost or what ever else can go wrong.

100's are hard to exchange in most places and banks have long lines and require too much to exchange. You can also exchange ahead of time through most US banks and sometimes the rate is quite favorable. I think RonVal does this.

Depending upon what US bank you use, chances are they have an affiliate bank in Mex that will waive ATM Fees.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

Thanks need, I'll check with my bank, it's not a big bank, Bank of the West, but I'll give them a call.

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
644 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing $$$ to pesos

Last year we even had some trouble using larger peso bills-- even at OXXO! It can be a challenge sometimes to constantly keep many smaller bills on hand. We were very frustrated a few times, so always use the biggest peso bills we have at Walmart, Commercial or liquor stores.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations