We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

I am sure this was long overdue but any $$ spent is certainly justified.

(Acapulco, AN 29 December)

Federal legislator Fermín Alvarado Arroyo has introduced a bill in Mexico’s Congress to remodel and renovate Acapulco’s historic downtown area.

The budget of $20 million pesos is proposed for 2011, with the purpose of having the district declared a National Historic Site, and perhaps one of the designated “Pueblos Mágicos” in a national tourism promotion program. The project includes facelifts for the façades of historic buildings, parks, promenades and the restoration of historic streets and alleyways.

The Zócalo and Cathedral are part of the plan as well as several surrounding neighborhoods. The federal deputy said that his bill seeks to blend the modern urban image of Acapulco with its historic center. “Acapulco’s downtown area has not received significant new investment,” he said, “and as of today the Traditional Zone looks abandoned.” The legislation is designed to remedy that situation.

Edited: 02 January 2011, 12:22
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

This is a great idea, which is long overdue.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

But, seriously, just 20 million (under 2 million USD)? That's less than Calderon spent buying new SUVs for all the congressmen!

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

For certain not alot but I expected some cleanup and just making the area a bit more pleasing to the eye anyway. If this were to be a budgeted yearly item it could be of some help.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

Excellent news. Every little bit helps. I remember a few years ago when they spruced up the Zocalo with some paint and new plantings and all the restaurants got matching tables so it would look uniform. A little sandblasting on the concrete benches would be a huge improvement.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

Steve, you beat me to my response...Not to be a debbie downer, but seriously..2 million dollars! You can barely build an overpass or a 3 story building with that amount of money. Lets put this into perspective, The Federal will invest roughly 2 million dollars in which at least half of that will end up in the pockets of corrupt politicians/contractors leaving a million dollars to put to work :-)

The only good news to come out of that is that perhaps some private money will follow just like the Diamante area which predominantly is private sector money.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

2 million does not seem like a lot esp., like need said, after corrupt officials take their share, a lot less than that will "trickle down" for its intended purpose, yet considering the lower cost of labor it could potentially still go farther there than it would north of the border.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

I was being more sarcastic than anything else..Of course any investment is positive...I just don't expect much to transpire. Personally I can't see owning a business in the current climate in Aca due to extortion and being under constant threat. I think until things get better crime wise, no investment will really bring back the glory days.

No doubt though, some sprucing up would definitely be good especially where foreign tourists visit. First impression sometimes is last impression. I like that PDLC was repaved and they put nice signs out front and painted. They also have that crew that goes up and down the beach cleaning which is nice to see.

I think Aca is such a classic place and has a ton of potential, but is in need of complete enema. It's wierd (some of you probably will understand this)...When you go to the upscale restaurants or Diamante, it's so civilized, modern, upscale, luxurious and nice, but what's nice is when you go to i.e. Los Flamingos or Caleta, it's so local, authentic and most of all nostalgic of what Aca used to be. Going to the Zocalo is just okay for me...I don't see the hype in it as I don't find the restaurants very authentic and I don't have kids so the entertainment does not suit me. What I do like about it is that it's the town center and has been around for such a long time. It would be cool if they had some very nice, clean authentic courtyard type Mexican eateries there that attracted all classes of people. Though I'm not into the Zocalo, I end up there every trip because I found an awesome barber there on a little side street. Nothing beats a 4 dollar haircut that's better than at home.

I don't miss long lines to get into places, but something in the middle between what is now and what was then would be great!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

Anyone been to Old Town Mazatlan since they redid that entire area? It is fabulous how they spruced it up, redid all the old properties and how alive the Plaza area is with the Theatre and all the 15 or so restaurants. The Cathedral is now under going a total remodel...the Malecon is such a beautiful place to walk and enjoy...bikes and skating and walking...I was totally amazed and impressed with the total new area. Of course it was more than the $2 million pesos...but it sure is impressive to me...but I love old stately looking buildings and now to see them shine...wow!!

Anything is a start...might be more coming then each year...Keep us all informed as to what is being done...Thanks for the article...

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

Hopefully that old hotel across from Sanborns will be on the list. It would be fabulous restored, Removing all of the signage would be a big improvement. Certainly will take big money to really restore the area. Garbage removal off the costera would be a big improvement too. The garbage on the street by Tropicana and across from the now defunct Reubens, is a nightmare. No one cleans anything off the Costera. A garbage can by the Bus Stop by Wal Mart would be a big improvement. Garbage, Garbage, everywhere. ugh.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legislation Proposed for Renewal of Old Acapulco

That old hotel is wonderful. Rolynn. I've often walked through it to get to the stores on the streets behind. I know one person who's been there every winter for years. As for the litter, every once in a while a downpour will wash down from the streets on the upper elevations and since the Costera is sea level.....

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco