We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Alert

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Alert

This is the first day of the Aca forum's travel alert. Ugh, hate to see the red warning at the top of the page.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Alert

We got one too...

So very sad what is going on.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Alert

Way out of perspective. They should be warning people of the inevitable party hangover, the twisted ankle, the embarassment of being photographed blotto - all the things that actually happen to tourists on a regular basis. Sad to see this.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Alert

Sad to see it, but I feel with everything going on and the lack of any security, it's called for. I do think it's highly unlikely that an average tourist sipping drinks by the pool is likely to be affected, but things are not what they used to be. I suspect Aca is in for quite an increase of issues for the next year or 2.

It's really upsetting to see a place like this go through this.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Alert

TA is getting Red Letter happy! Even Puerto Vallarta has a Travel Warning now! And finally Baghdad has one too (which is also very recent).

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Alert

It's not so much TA as TA just following the updated US travel advisory though, right Steve?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Alert

No, I don't think it's anything to do with the new U.S. alert. Acapulco was specifically mentioned in the previous alert but there was no warning on TA - same with the state of Jalisco (which is why PV now earns a TA alert). And of course most people would consider Baghdad a dangerous place over the last few years but there wasn't an alert there until recently either.

So, the TA alert on this forum does not IN ITSELF mean that Acapulco is any more dangerous - just that TA has made its policy consistent so that any town or state mentioned in a US government advisory will get the red message.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,699 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Alert

Oh. Well, I understand the new places were added after this updated warning from the US State Dept. was released April 22.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html

I agree they should be consistent. And I agree it does not mean Aca is any more dangerous. TA is following the State Dept suit and just warning people, though. I think that is responsible of them.

Now we just have to hope the people seeing and questioning it are responsible and smart enough to get the whole picture.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Alert

I hear ya,

I don't like that either !!!!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Alert

I am not sure that most travelers will read the whole report, thus so many states are affected by this advisory....sure hope Mexico can withstand this on top of all it has endured in last few years, swine flu blah blah...I am getting all kinds of emails on Jalisco ie: Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta Nayarit. ugh

Plus of course I have emails telling me not to go to ACA or Ixtapa...

Browerville...
Level Contributor
538 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Alert

The travel forum for Cancun does not include the travel alert for Mexico, poor Acapulco.