We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's all get back to Mexico!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Let's all get back to Mexico!

Our trip to Acapulco June 12-16, ‘11 was very enjoyable. It was our 4th trip there, but it had been 4 years since the last one due to all the violence and warnings. It’s sad, though, that so few non-Mexicans are traveling there anymore. There hasn't been any drug related violence in the main tourist areas. There were only 4 of us at this hotel (Calinda Beach Hotel), but there were a lot of Mexican families vacationing there. The hotel took very good care of us, and our vacation club, Royal Holiday, even offered us a guide and transportation around the city. The hotel's concierge was also willing to take us anywhere we wanted, and even did some research for us regarding where we might find a particular type of art. We really liked the food at the hotel, also. I recommend the Tampiquena dish especially. Sanborns is a great Mexican store and restaurant that is attached to the hotel, too, and you can charge anything you buy there to your hotel account. Other nearby restaurants we especially liked were 100% Natural, and El Jaguar. El Jaguar featured food, music, and fine artesania from that particular area of Mexico. All the prices were reasonable. My husband really liked the fact that there was a golf/tennis center just a block away. It was very affordable to hit a bucket of balls with a rented club. The greens fee was a little high, though, at about $50 (US) for 9 holes, but I don't know what all that would have included. The only 2 things I didn't like was that one had to ask for ice to be brought up to the room, and had to pay about $1.45 for a package of coffee with a filter that served 4. The room did have a coffee pot, but no coffee. As you may know, most American hotels provides the coffee with the pot, and has an ice machine on every floor. However, those were my only 2 complaints, and only because I'm a very spoiled American. This hotel really made it a great experience. So, let’s all return to Acapulco and go to the Calinda!

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Calinda Beach Acapulco
Calinda Beach Acapulco
532 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Sanborns
Sanborns
282 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

I stayed at the Calinda many years ago before they refurbed the place and liked it. I like the Sanborns there also very convenient shop. Glad you returned after 4 years it is worth it!!!

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

quecantemos,

So glad you had a nice time and wrote about your good time in Acapulco!

Usually the coffee comes with the package right? Who knows thre strategy?

I am sure someday soon we'll get our normal amount of non-Mexicans again when they get things worked out and people begin to return.

Come again soon!!!

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

Thanks for the positive trip review, it was an enjoyable read. Outside of the hotels that cater primarily to foreign tourists, it's still Mexico. We bring along our own coffee (as well as wash cloths), otherwise there is Wal Mart and other supermarket/dept. stores along the costera. In some ways there have been great strides made by hotels to compete with American standards, while in other ways, well, take the absence of complimentary coffee as an example. Depending on where one stays, your lodging dollar still can go a lot farther in Mexico than in the U.S. although some of the amenities may be missing. Just part of Mexico's charm I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a great time as we did on our visit this past May. Already looking forward to Next May ....Spread the word about what a great vacation place Mexico is.....

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

Always happy to hear from a returning ACA lover. Glad you enjoyed.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
639 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

Thanks for the post. Glad you had a good time. Let's all get back, for sure!

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

It is a neat old hotel. I love walking through there when it's hot outside and cool in the lobby. I have snowbird friends that winter there, too. Thanks for the post.

Bolivia, North...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

Interesting.

9. Re: Let's all get back to Mexico!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 16:18