We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

seattle
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

I had a really strange incident happen - not in Acapulco, but this is the group that seems to have the most experienced travelers with reasoned answers. (Not sucking up, honest!)

We were the only diners in a 20 table restaurant. (I should have ignored the Trip Advisor reccommendation when I saw no one else there, but the mediocre food wasn't the big problem.) Seven of the tables were two seaters in the window spaced @12 inches apart.

A second diner came in - a pleasant looking young woman- and when given her choice of all the tables chose to sit exactly next to us, placing her shopping bag near my purse and sitting beside my husband on his wallet side.

Every alarm in my brain went off. The only time I had ever seen something like this happen was to an old couple in Europe 20 years ago. The police caught the pickpocket before he could get out the door.

We calmly gathered our food and moved a few tables away. The other diner jumped up and left in such a hurry she dropped the man style wallet stuffed with cash she had in her lap and the waitress had to run out to return it.

The restaurant staff was miffed with us for running off their only other customer. Did we overreact? How would you have handled it?

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Casa de la Cultura
Gift & Speciality Shops
Romantic Taxco Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mercado Municipal
Flea & Street Markets
Mercado de Artesanias
Flea & Street Markets
Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

this did not happen it acapulco but what port did it happen in......i think it would be great if you all let us know.....zzaa

seattle
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

You'll love it,zzaa. It happened in San Diego- Coronado Beach. No way I'm going to ask on that web site. They thought that (nameless) place served good food.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

Cruznut1111,

I always say, go with your gut feeling!!

You know you didn't hurt anyone!! They are the ones that got nervous !!! and for what reason??? Weird!!

Acasun......

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

lol......and they say this only happens in mexico .....lol.....what would i have done ...well you see zzaa has a big mouth and i probably would have reported it to the person in charge of this restaurant......and why not post it on the forum i think that this is something everyone there should be aware of......when something goes wrong here in acapulco people are not shy about letting us know about it so why shouldnt it be that way on other forums.....zzaa

Level Contributor
1,703 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

cruznutt....I would do as you did...go with my gut instinct....we have that for a reason, but some don't listen to it.

seattle
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

acasun, tired, zzaa - Thanks for the confirmation. I thought we were "smart travelers" in this situation, but it's good to get another perspective.

Zzaa- the main reason I didn't bother with posting this on the other web site (yet) was because I was thinking about it from my own view of "was I right?" rather than from a "traveler be alert" view. I really had been most impressed with the quality of thought and experience on this site, so it was the best way to check myself.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

ok cruise....dont really get it but what ever makes you feel right.....zzaa

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

ps glad this didnt happen to you and happy you had a great cruise......zzaa

San Diego
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

Where exactly did this happen?

As you can see from my profile I'm from San Diego.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
seattle
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It DID NOT happen in Acapulco

Hi Montego-

The reason I wasn't mentioning the name of the restaurant was because it could have happened anywhere. I don't think they were involved; they just had a strange reaction to my way of thinking.

As Acasun & Tired mentioned, sometimes you have to follow your gut. That's something I pay attention to all the time, but when I'm traveling especially. This was such a strange situation and the staff seemed so miffed at us, I was really questioning my response.

Guess I should go onto San Diego TA and ask if anyone had a wallet stolen 1/22.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California